Check This Out...

9.05.2008

Hip-Hop Loves Wrestling! Pt.6

Yo! I can't believe it has been over an entire year since the last "Hip-Hop Loves Wrestling!" article! Just goes to show you how time flies...and how busy I've been, putting down more lyrics of my own.

Those who have been O-sters from day one know about these articles that showcase how hip-hop lyrics have always incorporated wrestling in many of its poetic analogies. Here's a link to the first five pieces in this series that commemorate this relationship: Part One, Part Two, Part Three, Part Four and Part Five.

Big up to Tha O Show's Stevie J for his Original Hip Hop Lyrics Archive website which contains practically every rap lyric ever written! Now here, at long last, is your latest installment. Feel free to add ones you know that I may have missed.

1) “We sat, unhooked the cape from the back,
She felt my arms 'cause my pythons looked stacked”

- Redman on “A Day of Sooperman Lover” from the album, Whut? Thee Album (1992)

2) “So I broke out the ropes, smacked the hoe, then suplexed her,
She pulled out a Tec and wet my chest with the S1's”

- Redman on “Sooperman Luva II” from the album, Dare Iz A Darkside (1994)

3) “My bank account is frozen, I don't think that I can get out this hole,
Feel like the figure four leglock,
Like the jury went away and then they came back deadlocked”

- Big Boi of OutKast on “Church” from the album, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (2003)

4) “Time to drop these bows like Dusty Rhodes”

- Andre 3000 of OutKast on “Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik” from the album Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik (1994)

5) “I throw your brain in the cobra clutch, behold the hold rush
A dazzlin' display if you could get close enough”

- Inspectah Deck on “R.E.C. Room” from the album, Uncontrolled Substance (1999)

6) “I'm a 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper I flash my dread Sherlock Holmes,
The thicker the richer the bigger the dread,
So I don't need no honeycomb”

-Chip Fu of Fu-Schnickens on “True Fuschnick” from the album, F.U. Don't Take It Personal (1992)

7) “My Brooklyn style speak for itself,
Like a wrestler, another notch under my belt”

-Lil' Kim on “Quiet Storm (Remix)” from the Mobb Deep album, Murda Muzik (1999)

8) “I let the haters take a break,
Now I'mma let it out the bag like Jake The Snake”

-Fabolous on “Hi Hater (Remix)” from the Maino album, If Tomorrow Comes... (2008)

9) “Hits the bricks skips the dog shit complete in my cipher,
Temper like 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper, hyper like a viper”

-Nine on “Whatcha Want?” from the album, Nine Livez (1995)

10) "We prefer to fight you on like a man
And beat you down with our hands and bodyslam you at the...”

-Kool Moe Dee on “Wild Wild West” from the album, How Ya Like Me Now (1987)

And in what is easily the track containing the dopest wrestling references in recent history:

11) "This nigga's dope, no contemplatin'
Under the jim, I got the anvil like The Hart Foundation"

(and later)

"Sgt. Slaughter, clutch you with the cobra
Hot and bothered, touch you with the toaster"

(and later)

"I'm messy with the yay like Mark,
Bad News like Brown, survey with a spark"

(and later)

"The Crippler, call me Chris Benoit,
I strip ya..."

(and later!)

"With a hooker, playin' Snuka like Superfly,
Scar your face, say goodnight to the bad guy"

-Mr. Blake on “TKO (Haymaker)” from the mixtape, The Bakery Mixtape (2008)


11 comments: on "Hip-Hop Loves Wrestling! Pt.6"

Anonymous said...

Hype-alaz! You know I've been readin' these since the original. Glad to see it back.

Damn, Wu loves fuckin' wrestling don't they? You could prob write a whole article just on Redman mentioning it.

I don't even remember that Outkast line from "Church", one of my fav songs too.

"Sgt. Slaughter, clutch you with the cobra
Hot and bothered, touch you with the toaster"

That's my fav.

Jorden Vandal said...

Damn Dan, I send you quite a few and you don't include a one. That said, I'll list them!

"I was facin some time-yee, but thats somethin' small to a giant like Andre,"
Cassidy - The B.A.R.S. Story - "Celebrate"

"Y'all ducks want the birds if not just keep walkin
Got the top down and I'm feelin like Steve Austin"
Rick Ross - Trilla - "All I Have In This World (Japanese Denim)"

"Faggot2Dope and Silent Gay
Claimin Detroit, when y'all live twenty miles away (fuckin punks)
And I don't wrestle, I'll knock you fuckin faggots the fuck out"
Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP - "Marshall Mathers"

-----------------------

I know of more, but don't feel like looking them all up.

Anonymous said...

The ones i can think of offhand are from one album.

Talib Kweli "In The Mood" from the album "Eardrum."

"Really these cats sweeter than mangoes. Mr Bonjangles-ass dudes,
dancin around the club doin' the tango. Go hard like Iverson playin' with hurt ankles. Plus wrestle the topic from a different Kurt Angle!"

Hostile Gospel" Part 1

"There ain't no love and no respect, it's like a gang, it's like a club or a set. Hip hop's the new WWF. What do you rap or do you wrestle? Niggas love to forget."

Dan-e-o said...

Jorden,

No disrespect homie...you did send me some but as I looked at your entries I was thinking the "Steve Austin" line may not have been referring to the wrestler but instead the TV character of the same name.

I also couldn't find the album with Cassidy's line on it, so thanks for including those lyrics in your post.

Dante,

Check out part 5 of this series. Both Talib Kweli lines are there. I had JUST bought that album when I wrote the piece last year. He's one of my all-time favs...and he's in Toronto next week!

I actually met him at the "Never Been In Love" video shoot in Toronto years back. Here's hoping I get a chance to speak with him again.

Anonymous said...

Got a good one

"Akro, so straight for '08
Kweli, both names that hold weight
So when you be creatin your playlist, don't forget that we are A-list material
Lyrics dirty to the point they scratchin off the serial
And straight to the bisota, goes that whack shit in your stereo
I'm Akrobatik brother, I'll a backflip Rey Mysterio
617 to the 619 (one nine)

Chicks pon heaven when he kicks one line (one line)
And big up to my DJ, pon the mix one time (one time)
Put 'em up, get 'em high"

Akrobatik ft. Talib Kweli - "Put a Stamp on it"

Jorden Vandal said...

Dan, I wasn't hatin' at all man. Not at all. I do realize what you're saying about the Rick Ross line, it could easily be about the TV character instead of the wrestler.

That said, I wasn't hatin' cause you didn't include the shit I e-mailed you. I had to post a comment though, cause you gotta beat Donnie in this "comment battle" you got going.

Anonymous said...

since when is redman part of wu tang?

Anonymous said...

Redman is a honorary member of the Wu.

Anonymous said...

-Marvwon on "Happy Bar Exam" from the Royce Da 5'9" mixtape, The Bar Exam 2 (2008)

"And why should I be, niggas ain't good as me,
The best black champ we had in while like Booker T"

Dan-e-o said...

Redman is officially Def Squad. Method Man is part of Wu Tang Clan. Redman & Method Man, however, are a well known duo.

Anonymous said...

Yo, heard another one today.

"It's my go, yeah
And I'm gonna go so opposite of soft
Off the Richter, heckter
The Macho Man Randy Savage, far from average"

- Lil Wayne on "Mr. Carter" from the album "The Carter 3".