Check This Out...

1.10.2007

Hip-Hop Loves Wrestling! Pt. 3 (With Lotsa Links!)

When Tha O Show started back in February of 2006, I couldn't help but write an article about hip-hop's place in the wrestling world. Click here to peep the original piece which started off this series dedicated to the history of rap's references to the squared circle.

In August when I re-released some of my CDs, I posted the second "Hip-Hop Loves Wrestling" article. Click here to check that one out as well. I'm proud to finally deliver the third installment. I have located each an every lyric that appears in these articles by actually listening to (or in many cases creating) the music myself.

No lyric has been researched, googled or even given to me. I am, after all, a life long music fan AND rapper and therefore somewhat of a lyrical hip-hop encyclopedia! Curious to know though...do other musical genres make this much of a connection to pro wrestling? I'd love to be informed about that...in the meantime, enjoy these:

1) “My style's ill, I slam like Hulk Hogan,
Dice Raw bettin’ on my arm, niggaz know my slogan”

- Dice Raw on “The Lesson Pt.1” from The Roots album, Do You Want More?!!!??! (1994)

2) “Gives the peace up like Jimmy Snuka” (and later)
“I gotcha in a sleeper like Chief Jay Strongbow”

- Yogi of Cru on “Pronto” from the album, Da Dirty 30 (1997)

3) “’Cause they know, and I know, and she know, and we know
That I'm an old champ like Bruno Sammartino
Or Ivan Putski or the brother Tony Atlas
Buy my EP and Showbiz will be the fattest”

- Showbiz of Showbiz & A.G. on “Still Diggin’” from the album, Runaway Slave (1992)

(NOTE: The A.G. in this group stands for “Andre The Giant”)

4) “My battin' average, abort full of graphic assault, it's all classic
Thought, put ass-backwards rappers in a small package”

- Black Thought of The Roots on “Quills” from the album, Phrenology (2002)

(This can be considered a wrestling-related lyric, can’t it?)

5) “But now the game’s changed, I’m all about the hustle
And even Hogan Knows Best, I’m all about the muscle”

- Ludacris on “Mouths To Feed” from the album, Release Therapy (2006)

6) “A-E-I-O-U and sometimes Y
Call me Jimmy Snuka cuz I’m super fly”

- Shaquille O’Neal on “Mic Check 1-2” from the album, Shaq Fu – Da Return (1995)

(Honestly, this probably gets the award for worst wrestling-themed rap lyric to appear in any of these articles!).

7) “Snap you in a chokehold, slap you like I’m Stone Cold”

- Dan-e-o on “Deadly” from the album, See No Evil, Hear No Evil (2004)

(How did I forget about this in my previous articles on this subject?!)

Anyway, you can listen to “Deadly” right now by checking out Tha O Show’s official MySpace page.

8) “Raw Is War” also from the Dan-e-o album, See No Evil, Hear No Evil (2004)

(Clearly the title alone speaks for itself. The track is also preceded by a “Stone Cold Steve Austin” interlude performed by Jason Sensation – formerly of WWE).

Listen to "Raw Is War" now on my official MySpace page.

Pick up a copy of See No Evil, Hear No Evil and my other albums from my official online store.

9) “Sharpshooter (Best Of The Best)” from the Rascalz album, Global Warning (1999).

Featuring none other than Bret “The Hitman” Hart, this has got to be the coolest hip-hop and wrestling collaboration ever. The Vancouver-based Rascalz also shot a video for this track that provided me with the opportunity to meet one of my favourite wrestlers of all time (as proven by the pic used at the top of this article).

Check out this clip of the “Sharpshooter” music video.

10) “So irregular, how it messed you up when Mr. T became a wrestler”

- Nas on “Can’t Forget About You” from the album, Hip Hop Is Dead (2006)

Honorable mention to Wyclef Jean for featuring The Rock on “It Doesn’t Matter” from his album, Ecleftic: Two Sides To A Book (2000) – probably the only thing Wyclef has ever done that I’ve liked.


11 comments: on "Hip-Hop Loves Wrestling! Pt. 3 (With Lotsa Links!)"

Dan-e-o said...

Ben,

I haven't...but my brother's a big MF Doom fan so I may be hearing it soon(remember Doom as Zeb Love X of KMD?...he's actually a Daniel too!)

Any way, please post any wrestling lyric you like...the more, the better. Thanks for the heads up.

Big Daddy Donnie said...

How you gonna say no one gave you any of these? Didn't I have to remind yer ass about the Goldberg's shoulders line from IRS and the Bam Bam reference from Maestro in Hip Hop Loves Wrestling Part 2?

C'mon now bro... speak true.

ha

Anonymous said...

I think rapper Ill Bill mentions Gene Kiniski of all people.
Its in an old Non Phixion song.

I heard another rapper actually mention John Cena, but for the life of me I can't remember his name. I think it was Copyright?

Dan-e-o said...

Sorry Don,

I'm pretty sure I remembered the Maestro lyric on my own but yeah you did REMIND me about the Black Cat line.

Man, you wanna be an MC bad, eh?

Anonymous said...

To go the opposite way...
I loved it when The Undertaker said,
"We'll take a muscle bound man and put his face in the sand."
When he & Kane were going to fight a
"Brothers of Destruction" match a long time ago...

That worked for me!

Big Daddy Donnie said...

HAHA...

Ya man

Don-e-o in the hizzy

fallen0ne said...

Hey Dan-e-o, this has nothing to do with the article, but I just noticed you're sporting your personal most hated wrestler John Cena's spinner belt in the pick on the site. WHATSUPWITDAT?

Big Daddy Donnie said...

Haha...

I can field that one.

I have my own belt... the one on my shoulder, and Dan-e-o's brother Brian had the spinner... why he had that don't ask me. So we decided to mug for a few pics and he just took his brother's damn belt.

We talked about cutting out a Rated R logo and throwin in the middle ... but ... i mean... c'mon. That's just dumb.

fallen0ne said...

Cena marks are gonna haunt him with that pic for the rest of his life, hahaha

Dan-e-o said...

fallen0ne...

Tha answer is simple...that pic is basically my way of saying that I'M the real champion...NOT Cena!

Big Daddy Donnie said...

LOL

nice cover guy.

You know how I know you're gay?
Cuz you're secretly a Cena fan.