Check This Out...

8.17.2006

Hip-Hop Loves Wrestling! Pt. 2: 12 More Dope Rap References to the Ring

In case you haven't read it yet, go to Tha "O" Show's Archives section and click the link to February 2006. Scroll down about four articles and you'll find Part One of this article which contains some of hip-hop's illest wrestling-related rhymes ever!

It's no secret that wrestling and hip-hop go back a long time. The two artforms just happen to be my two biggest loves (besides my girl Layla: congratulations sexy, I knew you could do it!) so there had to be a union created between the two at some time. As mentioned in Part One, hip-hop has crept its way into storylines, characters and special appearances at WWE events. Groups like Run DMC and Salt-N-Pepa have had the opportunity to perform on the REAL grandest stage of them all: WrestleMania.

And remember the M.O.M. (Men on a Mission) gimmick? Okay, now forget the M.O.M. gimmick! And let's get into some more of the illest ring-referencing rhymes in the world!

1) “Breakin’ necks like Bam Bam Bigelow, the neighborhood gigolo, watch the bigger nigga go!”

- Maestro Fresh-Wes on “On The Jazz Tip” from the album, The Black Tie Affair (1991)

2) “Busta Rhymes is like ‘Hacksaw’ Jim Duggan, been thuggin’,
Lovin’ the way we flood jewels for nothin’”

- Busta Rhymes on “Simon Says (Remix)” from the Pharoahe Monch album, Internal Affairs (1999)

3) “I crush the cabbage of another Randy ‘Macho Man’ Savage”

- Busta Rhymes of Leaders of the New School on “The End Is Near” from the album, T.I.M.E. (1993)

4) “Oh, I’m tag-teaming, I feel like Hulk Hogan and ‘Macho Man’
Randy Savage over Elizabeth, you know what I’m sayin’?”

- Donald-D on “Just Suck” from the album, Notorious (1989)

5) “I’m a rebel, blessed, able to hold a mic like a hammer,
Treat a rapper like a wrestler, and body slam him”

- Big Daddy Kane on “Young, Gifted & Black” from the album, It’s A Big Daddy Thing (1989)


6) “I slayed MC’s back in the rec room era,
My style broke motherfuckin’ backs like Ken Patera”

- Genius/GZA on “Shadowboxin’” from the album, Liquid Swords (1995)

Now if I may interject here for a moment, it's at this time that I'm going to have to throw in both a shameless plug and a super shameless boast about my crew, Monolith. For those who don't know, my 12-membered Scarborough, Ontario-based hip-hop collective just very well may be the owners of the greatest wrestling-related raps ever written. I may have battled it out with Redman in Part One of this article...but I think I'll share the spotlight with my crew this time around. Check this out...

7) “I daily denounce fables with sounds able
to smash MC’s like Spanish announce tables” (and later)
“I’ve responded for the world’s most slept-on click solely
to prove we do more damage to Mankind than Mick Foley”

- Dan-e-o on “Jackin’ 4 Beatz (T.O.)” (originally released in 2000), from the album, Dear Hip Hop (re-released in 2004)

THIS ALBUM IS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FOR ONLY $7.99 AT MY ONLINE STORE!!

8) “I’m on a next plateau, I’m something special
It’s the main event of Raw but I’m not comin’ here to wrestle
But I make you tap out when I rap out and slam phones
And like S.D. my special delivery, you will Jones…”

- Nish Raawks on “Let’s Go” from the album, Buck Canuck (2004)


9) “You think that every digit I dial is some chick I’m phonin’?
With her, I wasn’t tryin’ to hook up like wrestling opponents”

- Dan-e-o on “358” from the album, Speak No Evil (The Last of Dan-e-o) (2005)

THIS ALBUM HAS BEEN RE-MASTERED AND RE-RELEASED THIS WEEK FOR ONLY $7.99 AT MY ONLINE STORE!!

10) “With rhymes more diesel than Goldberg’s shoulders
Makin’ these rookies salute to the older soldiers”

- Black Cat of Irs on “Strictly For The Heads” from the album, Welcome To Planet Irs (2003)

11) “It’s time I lay the SmackDown!, you preach you’re the bomb and so great
Anytime my girlfriend tries to promote the Monolith tape…”

- Dan-e-o on “My Girlfriend Told Me…” from the album, The Book of Daniel (2000)

THIS ALBUM HAS ALSO BEEN RE-RELEASED THIS WEEK AT MY ONLINE STORE!!

And finally, in what has got to be the sickest rhymes ever dedicated to the squared circle:

12) “Ample to me is opportunity when I’m in a jam
Wrestling with men while we pick them up and give ‘em a slam
Me and my man be like Animal and Hawk, the Scott to Ricky Steiner
The undisputed tag team champs amongst rhymers
Comin’ down the aisle at a combined weight
Of 340 pounds of raw talent and fate
To devastate the crowd and make ‘em chuckle
Distract the ref while I’m chokin’ ‘em on a turnbuckle…”

- Korry Deez and Black Cat of Irs on “Beats” (released as a single in 1999)


3 comments: on "Hip-Hop Loves Wrestling! Pt. 2: 12 More Dope Rap References to the Ring "

Anonymous said...

They just felt sorry for Layla cause she lost last year. Hahaha.

Anonymous said...

At least we can put up with another full year of half-assed wrestling programming by the WWE until the next diva search.

Anonymous said...

i dunno what jeters smokin tlakin layla ish in this story.... those lyrics r tite i picked up BOOK OF DANIEL long ago and i need to order the new ish