Check This Out...

8.16.2006

Guest Article: ECW Recap

SUBMITTED BY WATCH-WRESTLING.COM

So here's my official take on "ECW" last night. The night starts off on a sour note due to the fact the Heyman informs us that Kurt Angle will not be able to compete in the 3-way ladder match due to a groin injury. Next we're treated to Mick Foley participating in a 3-way "dance" as he literally dances with Kelly Kelly and his good friend Melina in the ring before being charged and choked out by an irate Ric Flair.

We are now near 20 minutes into the one hour program with no official in-ring action as of yet. Next up we have the rematch between CM Punk and Justin Credible. My immediate reaction to this one was that I was psyched to see CM Punk wrestle again and bummed out that Justin was about to job yet again. I was indeed correct in my assumption. The former ECW World Champion has yet to have a victory on "ECW" television. I continue to ponder why this Kliq member consistently gets the shaft from the WWE higher ups.

But who cares because up next is the FBI in actual tag team competition! The only problem is they're facing Test and Mike Knox and subsequently get squashed in serious fashion. Great.

Now comes the main event. Even though Angle is out of the match, I have high hopes that we'll be treated to a high spot buffet by two of the best: RVD and Sabu. While I would definitely consider the ladder match to be solid ignoring more than a couple botched spots, it wasn't everything I imagined it to be. There were a couple stiff ladder bumps involved by both
men, but the screwjob ending really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Surprise surprise! The Big Show gets involved by attempting to take out both challengers with Sabu accidentally grabbing the contract above the ring in mid-power bomb. It came out looking sloppy and cheapens Sabu's win. Sick post-match table spot with RVD being thrown rather gingerly through a ringside table by the Big Show, but as we fade to black I'm once again left
unsatisfied by the program.


4 comments: on "Guest Article: ECW Recap"

Anonymous said...

It doesn't help out much that NBC Universal rides Vince hard about what to put on the show. NBC higher ups believe that since Raw is Vince's moneymaker, that he should put Raw talent on the show to help bolster ratings.

But yeah...I can watch Impact and get more wrestling than this. Hell, I could more wrestling out of Velocity than ECW on Sci-Fi.

Of course last night's start to the show wasn't all that great. Announcing that Angle is out of the match due to an injury that not most people know is legit. Because I knew that going into last night's show, I wasn't dissapointed. I just thought, "well, there's still RVD and Sabu" to put on a really sick ladder match. Shit...the big E puts on better ladder matches than the one last night. Sure RVD and Sabu both had their spots, but they could've done a lot better. Must be that really short leash Vince has them both on.

Tag team wrestling doesn't exist in ECW now. It just doesn't.

Always nice to see CM Punk, but the rematch against Credible was terrible. I was hoping that it would be as good as his first match a few weeks back. Credible is definetly getting the shaft, but then again, so are a lot of ECW talent.

Unless they (WWE Creative) plans to bring in some more cruiserweights, I don't see Shannon Moore having any kind of push to make all this hype worth a damn.

Rene Dupree? Are you fucking kidding me? What is there to make me believe that he can fit in ECW? It's almost enough to make me wish Taz was still in top shape to wrestle. That way we could see him squash the guys that just didn't belong...Paul Varleans and Brakus.

But things could be worse....Batista could still be wrestling the Big Show for the title.

Anonymous said...

Everybody's been telling me to be patient with the new ecw product but damn it's hard to even pay it any attention. Renee Dupree? In ECW? Doing a photo shoot in the back? What the fuck is that? This is nothing more than the fallout of ECW's original concept which was reality. Much like sick bumps reality charcters have become the status quo. Now Vince is trying to liven up the ECW product(I think) but he needs to realize that with the reintroduction of ECW he has to go back to the formula that worked. That and Renee Dupree, Shannon Moore, Mike Knotz, Test, and even the Big Show all stick out like a sore thumb amongst the orignals. And I think that Renee's character is just about as intimindating as Kelly Kelly at a spelling bee.

Anonymous said...

That's why i'm not too sold on Shannon Moore. A lot of people say he doesn't fit into ECW regardless. I say that if more cruiserweights are brought in, that he'd work out. Moore was at his best by no doubt when he was the "Disciple of Mattitude". Out of all the new guys in ECW though however, Moore does have the best chance of getting over.

Anonymous said...

Yeah but what about Dupree? The guy was doing a photo shoot in the back for christ's sake. They are trying to make a new aged Rick Martel and send him over to ECW where he will have to be put over by the ECW guys. It just leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.