Check This Out...

7.24.2010

Tha Power Mark


I feel like an old man sometimes when I think about how far removed I am from today’s wrestling programs. I feel even older and out of touch when I listen to fans complain about it. When I was little there weren’t pay per views every month or shows every week. I had to clean my entire house just to order Survivor Series of The Royal Rumble. Hey, $29.95 was a lot of money for my mama to spend for three hours or so for me to watch something that no one else in the house was gonna see (until later that night when my older brother would watch since I would tape everything).

I have been trying to figure out what could be changed to make wrestling enjoyable again. Bring back chair shots and hardcore styles? Bring in some fresh blood? No and of course no. Because chair shots after what we all now know if fucking ridiculous and as soon as fans smell fresh blood they get on them like sharks. Right now I’m watching Smackdown and Cody Rhodes and Drew McIntyre are both in the ring and people shit on both of them. Well, Drew more so than Cody.

Look at the guys they are or have tried to bring in that fans have dogged. Jack Swagger, Dolph Ziggler, Kofi Kingston, Cody Rhodes, Drew McIntyre, NXT, or The Miz. Hell, at one point Santino got shit on hard. Back in the day there were wrestlers fans hated. They were the bad ones/guys until the term “heel” slithered its way into the casual fans vocabulary. You hated them but still watched their matches because you wanted to see them get their ass beat. Now fans hate guys because of their “push.” Or because who they’re friends with backstage. “Sheamus gets a push because he is HHH’s friend!” And? That cant be the only reason you hate him.

I personally like Sheamus. Not just because he looks different than most of the guys in the ring but because I fucking believe him when he gets in the ring. I don’t care who he is friends with. The only time I change the channel or get riled up is if someone is shoved down my throat and they suck (Batista). I know the world hates John Cena. I don’t. He just doesn’t entertain me so when I watch Raw or a pay per view I hope he loses to someone I do like. Like Orton. Remember how he was treated when he first showed up? How about The Rock? “Die Rocky Die!” chants rang out in arenas across the country along with signs. But over time he became The People’s Champion. Fans nowadays don’t give guys the chance to even grow.

“He’s shit now. He’ll always be shit. I want him to die.”

I’ll tell you what needs to change. Us. The fans. Instead of just complaining look for something that’s good and cheer for it. I know that I have a reputation of being positive in my articles but there comes a point when I just cant stand the shit I see on message boards or hear people talk about. Fantasy booking doesn’t work and is only cool to you.

Stop being an angry mark and start being a productive one. Support your local wrestling shows. If there’s something new and cool post a link wherever you blog or whatnot and share it with people. Positive actions breed positive responses. Perfect example is the guests on Tha O Show. Sure, sometimes they shit on other wrestlers and companies from their past but the best ones are the ones where you can hear in their voices that they still love and care about wrestling.

10 comments: on "Tha Power Mark"

TWK said...

Big O for this article. I always support my local indies, especially Vanguard Championship Wrestling which is having a huge show on the 31st in Newport News, VA with some no name team known as the Kings of Wrestling challenging the 2nd greatest team ever, THE SET, for the VCW Tag belts.

D.J.B. said...

Couldn't really agree even more Dante. As a matter of fact I've thought about it before, but not quite in these terms.

But remember "If you like The Miz, you don't like wrestling."

Adam said...

Agreed. Anybody can see the negativity in something because it's easy to see what's wrong. But to pinpoint subtle things that you like takes a greater eye.

I've made the effort from awhile ago to try and look for the positive in everything that happens and everyone that's involved in the wrestling industry and it's become much more enjoyable.

Dante said...

Cool, BDD. And DJB (am I the only one with no initials?!) people said the same thing about Cena. I'm not comparing the two of them but just saying. Hey, I used to hate Morrison when he first showed up now I love the guy...no Fronte.

D.J.B. said...

Of course you have initials bro, but yours are so cool we're going to have to start referring to your ass as The Doctor of Markanomics. I'm only kidding about the markanomics things, but I may actually start referring to you as Dr.

Dante said...

Thanks TWK. Its funny. There are allegedly a ton of wrestling shows here in Los Angeles but they are always far as hell away.

Adam, the fun thing about watching and looking for the good is that it makes you appreciate your favorite ones better and boo the bad guys for fan reasons and not because of politics.

DJB, my actual initials are DDR and that just reminds folks of Dance Dance Revolution.

D.J.B. said...

Yeah DR, I think sticking with DR instead of DDR would better benefit you. Calling you DDR could result in some very weird, very strange conversations. Though you could do the whole inversion thing and be RDD. That would be different.

jerzeywolf said...

Knowing how bad WWE writing is.. They should have Daniel young become Cena's illegitimate brother from their father when he was having an affair. Put them as a tag team to build trust between then and then have Young turn on Cena for Nexus

jerzeywolf said...

Are there any wrestling shows in Bergen county, NJ? What website can I go to to access this information? I am want to go see some indy shows in my area.