Check This Out...

4.09.2008

Jesse Ventura Has Lost It

Normally, this wouldn't really classify as wrestling news, but I found it interesting nonetheless, and thought that maybe a few O-sters might as well. Earlier this week, WWE Hall Of Famer and former Minnesota governor Jesse Ventura appeared on "The Colbert Report". Despite the thoughts that may already be rushing through your head, no questions at all were raised about steroids, or the wrestling industry at all, for that matter.

Instead, Colbert and Venutra discussed The Body's new book. After having heard this interview, I can safely say that Jesse Ventura has lost touch with reality in a way that Hulk Hogan would be envious of.

The book's title, "Don't Start The Revolution Without Me", should give you a hint at where Ventura is going in this book. The book details what Ventura describes as "Multiple plots and conspiracies that the government has lied to the people about". In the book, he mentions multiple cover-ups that he was made privvy to during his gubernatorial run (and yes, he mentions 9/11).

Not to get too political here, but there is a severe break in logic here. A governor runs government on a state level. State government, by and large, acts separately from the Federal government. There is no way that anyone should believe that Jesse Ventura of all people, was given hoards of top-secret federal government information.

You were the governor of Minnesota, Body. Your win in 1998 was a nice little side story for all of a day. However, I highly doubt you got called into the White House on September 12, 2001 and were told of some horrible conspiracy about the attacks. If the government was so crafty in setting up 9/11 that nobody can prove it to this day, I doubt you have any sort of ironclad evidence. If it really was a conspiracy, and if they knew you had proof of it, they'd have taken you out, plain and simple.

Also, in this interview, he proved that not only has he lost touch with reality (making statements such as "A lot of people think Che Guevera is dead, I know better"), but he apparently no longer has a sense of humor, either. Colbert, being a satirical anchorman, asked several comical questions (as is his style), most of which were met with contempt or a not-so-comical answer. For example, Colbert flippantly asked who would fare better in war, Ventura or Sgt. Slaughter. Ventura's response, with a straight face-"Would you rather have a guy who was actually in combat or a guy who spent his life pretending he was in combat?"


He also went on to state that the Navy Seals were a branch of the military that "looked real, but did nothing". Again, you are not part of the federal government; you have no idea what's really going on with any specific branch of the Armed Forces. If you have a beef with something that happened while you were in the Navy, that's fine, but don't come out and act as though you know exactly how the military is run, because you do not.

In what seems to be a disturbing trend among 80's wrestling stars, Jesse Ventura has completely lost touch with reality. I'm not going to say he's bought an apartment in Benoitville yet, but it's at least safe to say that he's residing in Warrior County.


18 comments: on "Jesse Ventura Has Lost It"

D.J.B. said...

Maybe this is all a big work and he's going to come in as Eric Young's manager and they can be paranoid conspicacy theorists together.

VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

Anonymous said...

Is it so hard for you to understand that The Body in State Government may have had friends or friends of friends in Washington that made him aware of things?

I don't work in the sales department for my firm, but I am made aware by friends anytime a big account is aquired.

Jesus said...

I saw him on larry king, and he didn't sound too crazy to me. Have you read the book? And if so, what exactly does he say concerning 9/11.

BigDaddy said...

Ya peronally, Id actually read the book before shooting down his claims.

B4 said...

Perhaps it's a big a big joke like "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" by Chuck Barris...maybe George Clooney will make a bad movie based on it.

recursive said...

i took the che guevara comment to mean that the spirit of guevara and revolution isn't dead. north american society is extremely passive compared to most places in the world, and the concept of fighting back against the government or any sort of uprising is just blown off as crackpot ranting and raving. truth is, without that fighting spirit, a lot of countries in the world would be way, way worse off.

while i agree that he came off as a little strange, and could have had a better sense of humour given the program he was on, i wouldn't quite say that he's a batshit loonball just yet. probably just a guy with a different perspective on things that's pissed off and frustrated with his government. immediately shooting down everything he has to say because it differs from the status quo is in all likelihood exactly why he's humourless and frustrated.

Chris said...

I'd vote for a Ventura / Warrior presidency, I'd certainly feel better about that than we got. Sorry Optimus Prime, maybe next time.
I caught a few minutes of him on Larry King and he didn't come off as a loon so much as pretty cocky. His head also shook alot which made me think he has parkinsons or something.

Joe said...

Yes, he meant the spirit of Che.

And he was serious because that is what Colbert prefers with his guests. But Jesse broke out laughing on a couple of Colbert jokes. Hard not to.

Jesse has never said he has inside info. on 911. Do a little homework before you make such ridiculous comments. At least read the book.

He said the Navy Seals looked real but did nothing? Were you high when watching the interview? Jesse is a former Navy Seal.

Whoever writes this blog must be very young or not interested in reporting accurately on current events. I would stick to wrestling.

Skitlez said...

I agree with Casur. Dude sounds fucking Looney Toons. He has no inside info. Didn't you guys ever hear the story when a president (I can't remember the specific name now, might have been Carter or around that time) asked when he got into office to know the truth about aliens and they told him they can't even tell the president. Well, if they can't tell the president about aliens, why would they tell a governor of Minn. the secret plot of 9/11? Not to mention if he really knew anything he'd be dead. Your telling me the government has no qualms about killing thousands on 9/11 but won't kill one guy with info to take them down? If there that evil I'm pretty sure they'd fuck him up. Conspiracy Theorist are crazy people with an excuse.

Joe said...

Hey Skitlez,

Ventura hasn't claimed any inside info. on 911. Wake up and do some simple research.

This ignorance is why our country is in such a sad shape politically.

Skitlez said...

Hey Joe (One of my fav Hendrix songs btw), I was going on the info given in this article. Who's to say I am ignorant on politics because I didn't research and/or read his book. That's not my job. Debate me but don't insult me.

Joe said...

Didn't say you were ignorant on politics. But our citizens ARE. A LOT of Americans are voting for a candidate and when they are asked which policy they agree with, they have no idea.

You ARE ignorant when it comes to Ventura and what he says regarding 911 and some other things. That's not an insult. It's a fact. I'm ignorant about lot of stuff. But Ventura's views on 911 isn't one of them. Saw him speak live here in LA. He took questions until everybody was tired out. He spoke for 1.5 hours.

You read some article and took it as gospel? Try getting your info. from several sources at the very least. And with something as important as politics and where our country might be heading, it might be worth it to actually buy a book from an independent guy like Jesse.

A lot of people agree with a lot of what he has to say. They are tired of the two party duopoly. Are there some opinions of his I disagree with? Of course. But given the choice between Clinton, Obama, McCain or Jesse, it wouldn't even be close.

Our system is broken and electing lots of independents is the only way to change things. Unfortunately, most Americans are asleep or, as Jesse puts it, "Lemmings," willing to follow.

Joe said...

BTW, Skitlez,

Some of what I just wrote in that last post should have been directed at the Blog author, Christopher.

Christopher Casúr said...

Joe-

Be careful who you're calling ignorant. For what it's worth, I agree that the two party system is a horrible way to run the country. However, that doesn't automatically mean that a third party will be better. As long as you focus on the parties instead of the individuals, you could have a 100-party system and the same problems would still exist.

My issue with Ventura is that his book comes off as paranoid and bitter, as does he in his interviews. In the book, he claims to have his own hypothesis regarding what really happened on 9/11 and claims that Fidel Castro told him the truth about the JFK assassination. Now, I'm not one who blindly follows what I'm told by anyone, but I don't think that George W. Bush planned or even knew about 9/11, and I do think that Lee Harvey Oswald shot JFK. However, because of how much our society is in love with conspiracy theories, someone who has theories get championed as someone who is "brave enough to tell the truth" and, in this case, knows how to fix the country.

Also, the title of the book, "Don't Start The Revolution Without Me"...he's endorsing the possibility of the overthrow of the government, but then what? If we overthrow our democracy, what do we replace it with? Besides, the people who are the most adamant about having to change our government are also the people who probably won't be willing to give their lives for it should a revolution occur. Everyone in this country wants something for nothing, and then blames everything on Bush when suddenly it turns out they can't get everything they want without giving something up.

Joe said...

Christopher wrote:

"Be careful who you're calling ignorant."

Why? Like I said, I am ignorant about plenty of things. And in this case, you are ignorant about what JV says in his book. And it's getting worse with each post you make. I'll explain.

CC wrote:

"For what it's worth, I agree that the two party system is a horrible way to run the country. However, that doesn't automatically mean that a third party will be better. As long as you focus on the parties instead of the individuals, you could have a 100-party system and the same problems would still exist."

And that's why Ventura has called for a system that includes ZERO parties. We would vote for people based on their ideas. You would know that if you read the book.

CC wrote:

"My issue with Ventura is that his book comes off as paranoid and bitter, as does he in his interviews."

I don't see that at all. But that's subjective. Not much to argue with you on that. We just disagree.

CC wrote:

"In the book, he claims to have his own hypothesis regarding what really happened on 9/11..."

No he doesn't. If you're so sure he claims inside information and has his own hypothesis, why don't you quote from the book and tell us what he writes.

CC wrote:

"...claims that Fidel Castro told him the truth about the JFK assassination."

JV had his own opinion on the JFK case before he met Castro. Castro denied involvement and said that the conspirators were part of the US government. For Jesse, that matched what his research told him. Could it be wrong? Of course.

CC wrote:

"Now, I'm not one who blindly follows what I'm told by anyone, but I don't think that George W. Bush planned or even knew about 9/11..."

Where has Jesse or myself said that Bush had anything to do with 911? We're just asking questions. Our government doesn't have a great track record on this type of thing. Go look-up Operation Northwoods from an ABC News article. The highest people in the US government have contemplated some disturbing things in our past. And how about The Gulf of Tonkin incident? Manipulation of the public to get us to support a war. It's a common theme in our history.

CC wrote:

"...and I do think that Lee Harvey Oswald shot JFK."

And many Americans disagree with you and feel he had help. So many documents on the JFK assassination are locked up until 2017. Classified. They claim national security and protection of the names/people on the documents. Well, it's easy to black out the names and it's been 45 years. What national security are they protecting?

CC wrote:

"However, because of how much our society is in love with conspiracy theories, someone who has theories get championed as someone who is "brave enough to tell the truth" and, in this case, knows how to fix the country."

Has Jesse claimed he is the only one "brave enough to tell the truth?" What he HAS done is apologized for not asking questions about 911 when he was Governor. If he had, it might have held a little more weight. Now that he has done his own research on the subject, he's asking questions in a very public way. Good for him.

CC wrote:

"Also, the title of the book, "Don't Start The Revolution Without Me"...he's endorsing the possibility of the overthrow of the government, but then what? If we overthrow our democracy, what do we replace it with?"

Sorry but the word ignorant comes screaming at me when I read that.

Are you kidding? He is NOT endorsing the overthrow of our government. And you would know that if you watched a few of his interviews on CNN or elsewhere on You Tube or if you read his book.
You want to know what he means by revolution? Do your homework and you'll find out.

CC wrote:

"Besides, the people who are the most adamant about having to change our government are also the people who probably won't be willing to give their lives for it should a revolution occur."

Like I said, it's not a violent revolution he's calling for so your comments are irrelevant.

CC wrote:

"Everyone in this country wants something for nothing, and then blames everything on Bush when suddenly it turns out they can't get everything they want without giving something up."

That's a different discussion. You can have that with your Democrat foes. In the Ventura case, it's a clearing out of the two parties and a fresh start with independent candidates. Try reading the book before you post again. Or at least watch all of the You Tube interviews.

You're making my point for me that most Americas are just uninformed or make assumptions without doing any research or studying.

Skitlez said...

Joe, you are correct I don't know anything about Ventura's book. AND the voting citizens (especially young ones) are ignorant. I do my part to keep up with politics and am proudly voting in my first election this year. I apologize for judging him before knowing all the facts but you can't blame me for not knowing some things in this article weren't accurate.

Christopher Casúr said...

I have seen interviews. That was what sparked this entire article, remember?

I'm noticing this entire debate is really starting to veer away from the original premise of the article. Ventura's exact words on The Colbert Report were-"The government lied to us about 9/11". Also, several online stores selling the book who have a little editorial review of the book state "In this book, Ventura discusses what he thinks really happened on 9/11." Clearly, his view differs from the accepted story of what happened. I have not read the book, but he's said in interviews that the book touches on the lies of the government. So he has either written about it in his book, or is lying about what he wrote to sell books. Either way, he's a little out of sync with reality in my opinion, which was the original point in my article.

Also, I never claimed that Jesse was the only one "brave enough to tell the truth", that was me speaking in generalities about conspiracy theorists as a whole. Sorry to put it this bluntly, but at this stage, if you're coming out with differing views on what happened with Kennedy and 9/11, even if you're just asking questions about a hypothesis, you are coming out with conspiracy theories.

Regardless of what the book may or may not say, my entire point was that he came off as very bitter and jaded in the interviews that I saw.

Not to mention, on the aforementioned interview, he bluntly stated "I hope they do start the revolution without me!" and mentioned that "The second amendment was intended for militias if we ever needed to rise up." If he's bringing the issue of guns and militias into the picture, I doubt he envisions a peaceful revolt. This has very little to do with the book; those were his words in the interview.

Also, as far as your "Democrat foes" line...I'm actually a Libertarian. I have no hatred towards Democrats, but I think it's very inconsistent that people will say in one breath that Bush is an idiot and then in the next breath talk about how he masterminded all these flawless plots like 9/11 and the flooding in New Orleans. However, that's another completely separate issue, so we'll leave that one alone.

To make this short and sweet-have I read the book? No. But that doesn't change what he said in the interview that I saw. If his comments from that interview match up with his book, then I think in some aspects, he's a little out of touch with reality. If they don't match up with his book, I think he's even more out of touch for going on national television and saying those things.

Joe said...

You made some good points...

I didn't want to focus on 911 but...

I have avoided mentioning Bush when I talk about 911 and Jesse has done the same for the most part. But not totally. He has mentioned how the Bush administration had stonewalled the 911 commission. That's a fact. I can link to a mainstream article on that one too if you want.

I'll give you the militia comment. But I think that's the last resort. If we actually get off our butts and vote (90 million non-voters in our last election) for an independent for president, they would win. No violence needed. Will that happen? I don't know.

Jesse is very much in touch with most of America when he questions 911:

http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/view/13469

Many adults in the United States believe the current federal government has not been completely forthcoming on the issue of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, according to a poll by the New York Times and CBS News. 53 per cent of respondents think the Bush administration is hiding something, and 28 per cent believe it is lying.

Only 16 per cent of respondents say the government headed by U.S. president George W. Bush is telling the truth on what it knew prior to the terrorist attacks, down five points since May 2002.

* * * * * * * * * *

As far as lying about the government lie about 911? How many times did they claim that we had no idea they might fly planes into buildings? That is blatantly untrue.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2004-04-18-norad_x.htm

NORAD had drills of jets as weapons

By Steven Komarow and Tom Squitieri, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON — In the two years before the Sept. 11 attacks, the North American Aerospace Defense Command conducted exercises simulating what the White House says was unimaginable at the time: hijacked airliners used as weapons to crash into targets and cause mass casualties.

* * * * *

How about this gem?

Why would anybody not become at least a tiny bit suspicious when reading something like this?

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F03EEDF173CF934A35756C0A9629C8B63

At least six air traffic controllers who dealt with two of the hijacked airliners on Sept. 11, 2001, made a tape recording a few hours later describing the events, but the tape was destroyed by a supervisor without anyone making a transcript or even listening to it, the Transportation Department said Thursday.

A quality-assurance manager at the center destroyed the tape several months after it was made, crushing the cassette in his hand, cutting the tape into little pieces and dropping them in different trash cans around the building, according to the report. The tape had been made under an agreement with the union that it would be destroyed after it was superseded by written statements from the controllers, the report said.

The quality-assurance manager told investigators that he had destroyed the tape because he thought making it was contrary to Federal Aviation Administration policy, which calls for written statements, and because he felt that the controllers ''were not in the correct frame of mind to have properly consented to the taping'' because of the stress of the day.

None of the officials or controllers were identified in the report.

The inspector general, Kenneth M. Mead, said that keeping the tape's existence a secret, and then destroying it, did not ''serve the interests of the F.A.A., the department, or the public,'' and would raise suspicions at a time of national crisis.

* * * * *

And maybe the word LIE was too strong but it's pretty close to reality and I think this is what JV was referring to:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14191255

The Sept. 11 commission was so frustrated with repeated misstatements by the Pentagon and FAA about their response to the 2001 terror attacks that it considered an investigation into possible deception, the panel’s chairmen say in a new book.

and this...

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2005/11/17/122900.shtml

Edited excerpt:

Former FBI Director Louis J. Freeh slammed the 9/11 Commission Thursday saying it ignored – or "summarily rejected" – the most critical piece of intelligence that could have prevented the horrific attacks of September 11, 2001.

Freeh recounts that military intelligence operation code-named "Able Danger" concluded in February 2000 that military experts had identified Atta as an al-Qaida agent operating in the U.S.

"Subsequently, military officers assigned to Able Danger were prevented from sharing this critical information with FBI agents," Freeh writes. "Why?" he ponders, suggesting the failure to share such intelligence may be a smoking gun pointing at federal malfeasance in the case.

Congressman Weldon, who has led Congressional efforts to shed light on the Able Danger claims, alleges that Jamie Gorelick, one of the Sept. 11 Commissioners, prevented the full committee from learning of Able Danger's crucial information. Gorelick has served as deputy attorney general during the Clinton administration.

"There's a cover up here," Weldon said. "It's clear and unequivocal." Freeh argues the Able Danger information requires a new inquiry. He also praised the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Arlen Specter (R-Pa.), for examining some of these matters.

Specter said at one hearing: "If Mr. Atta and other 9/11 terrorists were identified before the attacks, it would be a very serious breach not to have that information passed along ... We ought to get to the bottom of it."

Freeh writes in the Journal: "Indeed we should. "The Joint Intelligence Committees should reconvene and, in addition to Able Danger team members, we should have the 9/11 commissioners appear as witnesses so the families can hear their explanation why this doesn't matter."

* * * * * * * * * *

If they were deceptive on that stuff, what else were they deceptive about? I think it's a very valid question. Don't you?