Check This Out...

2.13.2008

Tuesday Night Turmoil: A Question Or Two

Last weeks Gulf of Mexico match left a lot to be desired, at least in the eyes of some. While I won’t completely rip ECW I will say that they are in the same boat as “SmackDown!” The difference is, ECW only has one hour to get all their storylines covered, and get their roster on TV.

ECW has one advantage in that there is only one brand champion. They do however posses the WWE Tag Team Championships therefore that set of titles gets double exposure on “SmackDown!” and ECW, but shouldn’t that focus be on tag teams?

The WWE has strayed away from the old school tag team mentality, much like Eric Bischoff did in WCW, but Bischoff just dropped the championships, the E is leaving them around the waist of John Morrison and The Miz, and while they’ve defended them just not often, the titles are collecting dust.

While I’ve been critical of Colin Delaney before, I did think what he did tonight will go a long way. I’m not sure what it did, but at least he didn’t get buried in a match. Seeing Tommy Dreamer get a win, and then Dreamer and Delaney get the beat down tells me there will be a Tag Team title match soon.

Miz and Morrison cut a promo before the match that left me scratching my head. Let me correct myself, Morrison did fine, Miz had me confused. John Cena is allowed to do impressions, because he’s terrible, if Miz wants to be taken seriously, he should not.

I did like the new catchphrase of MnM 2.0, “be jealous.” It’s a heel thing to say, and with the press that they’re going to get, and the way they are going to be marketed, which is apparently as rock stars, it works. At this point, they need to do what works.

I also don’t think it’s a coincidence that John Morrison is getting the lion’s share of singles matches between the two. Miz may very well be a good character and be over, but he doesn’t need to be forced into matches that often, again, use what works.

CM Punk still may not go over in the ECW Championship match at No Way Out. He probably will, and when and if he’s drafted to “SmackDown!” he’ll be stripped, but I think they should stretch out the heel champion on ECW if only for longevity and help in the long run. I don't know maybe the E's inconsistent consistency with the brands is hurting them.

Did anyone else notice that when Chavo took the GTS this week he didn't scream or jump backward, to me that was just confusing. I hated that last week, it was just bad, and this week he sold it normally. I guess he wasn't afraid of drowning this week.

There are a few things that make no difference, but you enjoy seeing anyway. Stevie Richards return tonight was one of those. I enjoyed seeing him in the title picture a few months ago, and I’m a huge Big Stevie Cool mark anyway, so that made tonight’s return even better.

I don’t get all the Kofi hate. His fighting stance is goofy, but other than that I just don’t see the problem. Did One Man Gang get that kind of hate when he thought he was black? Here we have a black guy thinking he’s Jamaican.

It was nice to see Mike Knox back on TV, even though I keep forgetting he has a job. His employment keeps slipping my mind for some reason. I actually O’ed for Joey Styles bringing up the history of Mike Knox beating former champs, that helps build Kofi and Knox.

I look at Layla like Fronte looks at Cena. I’m her number one fan and would offer myself to her at any time and will defend her work, no matter how bad. I mean come on, that match was great, it had reversals and everything.

The CM Punk and Mark Henry match, or lack thereof was a joke. I didn’t understand it, actually I don’t understand it. Mark Henry just a few months ago was being pushed to the moon. In two days time he jobs to Cena and then takes a bump for Punk, what went wrong?

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like Mark Henry, but his character had a place. Now though, his character is falling faster than the food inventory at the all you can eat buffet when Henry, Big Daddy V and Fronte are there at the same time.

Rico Montana made a very poignant comment about the big men this week, saying that they were more believable, and I agree to an extent. In the Elimination Chamber at No Way Out I think it would better serve “SmackDown!” to have Mark Henry in the match rather than Khali.

Henry could use the recent jobbing as a “motivator” and snap in the EC and use it to get himself back over. He could eliminate Finlay and maybe Batista to gain back some credibility with the fans, and a Mark Henry/Big Daddy V conclusion would be interesting to see.

It wouldn’t be the best wrestling scenario, but it would work to the heel vs. heel Mania main event I proposed, and it would also usher in two new faces to the main event level on “SmackDown!” instead of having Batista and Taker be there again. Sadly though, it's all for naught because Khali has that spot.

I have no problem with Undertaker in the main again, but I don’t know if he’s willing to work a full-time schedule like he was at this time last year. IF he is, he will most likely go over, but at this point as long as we don’t have to stomach Batista in a Mania main event again, I’m ok with it.

As a matter of fact, I thought Batista wasn’t permitted shots at the World Championship when Edge was Champion, or did the E conveniently forget that? Maybe if Punk wins the ECW strap at No Way Out they can further the storyline they are slowly building between him and Edge.

Quick hits…
*Stevie Richards def. Local guy (sorry don’t remember the name)
*Kelly def. Layla
*Kofi Kingston def. Mike Knox
*Tommy Dreamer def. John Morrison
*CM Punk def. Mark Henry via DQ


0 comments: on "Tuesday Night Turmoil: A Question Or Two"