Check This Out...

7.16.2006

Dangerous Stories: Bruiser Brody vs. Abdullah The Butcher

So I am in 8th grade at Welsh Valley Middle School in Pennsylvania. It's Spring, and I really can't remember what year it is and don't feel like doing the math right now, but you have your picture. Growing up outside of Philadelphia or anywhere near Philadelphia had to be a wrestling fans dream.

Why? Because both the then WWF and NWA ran shows in Philadelphia monthly. In fact, there were several occassions where they ran head to head on the same night. The crazy part was, head to head, they would both sell-out. Philadelphia was a hot-bed for professional wrestling.

"Wrasslin Radio" was just that; a weekly wrestling radio show that aired in the Philadelphia market. I was a die-hard listener, frequent caller, etc etc. So without going into a million details of the radio show the bottom line is this: The hosts of the show brought a live wrestling event to the Valley Forge Convention Center in Valley Forge, PA. The main-event? Abdullah The Butcher vs. Bruiser Brody. HOLY SHIT!

So I bought two tickets as fast as I could, they were $10 each, and I was set to go. I literally had to drag someone to go with because nobody knew who these guys were since all they saw was what was on TV and at the time neither were, at least not in the Philly market.

So we get to VFCC and sadly it's pretty empty, which looking back now, surprises me. Anyway I can't say I remember much of the undercard other then I know J.T. Smith was on it; which is something I confirmed many years later while we were working together in ECW. So it's time for the main-event. Abby comes to ring first, Brody next, they do one thing in the ring and then proceed to tear the building apart.

I was in shock. Keep in mind I had NEVER seen anyone go over the guard rails and these two guys went everywhere. It was unreal. I can't remember the finish for my life, but if I was a betting man, which I actually am, I would say it was a double DQ, countout, etc. All I know was it was wild. Blood everywhere, walls broken, forks being used, crazy stuff! A truly lasting memory!

Remembering wrestling from the 80's, which is what I grew up on, is a collection of not only great memories of matches and wrestlers, but a collection of memories of life. Like others, I relate events that I have seen to the things that were going in my life at that time.

I can remember the first time I ever went to see live wrestling like it was yesterday. It was 1985 at the Spectrum in Philadelphia with Hogan vs. Orndorff as the main-event and a tag-team battle royal as the semi. Those were the days. More so, I remember I begged my dad to take me,which he did. My dad died in 1995 and often when I look back at wrestling memories, I look back to the time period when I just started watching wrestling. Between him and my grandfather they both aided in me becoming a fan of professional wrestling and eventually taking the path that I have for the better part of 11 years; and feel beyond lucky to have done and continue to do so.

Sometimes it's more then what's put in front of you. It's not JUST a concert, or JUST a hockey game, or JUST a wrestling event. It IS everything else AND that. More often, the everything else is the stuff that sticks with you forever . . . and ever . . . and ever. Don't lose sight of that because you would only be causing yourself a great injustice. It's always an experience, everywhere you go, everything you do. Savor it.

Until next time, and I promise not to be so "heartfelt" it's just the mood I am in, thanks for reading.

lou


2 comments: on "Dangerous Stories: Bruiser Brody vs. Abdullah The Butcher"

Anonymous said...

That went on in every "major" wrestlin market. Philly, NYC, Dallas, Houston.

I can remember one night in Houston when the WWF ran a show at the now closed Summit and WCW ran a show at the Sam Houston Coliseum.

At the WWF show, there was this guy called The Undertaker and he defeated the Ultimate Warrior in a "falls count anywhere match". I think I was the only person amongst 15,000 people who was marking out for 'Taker.

At the WCW show, there was a main event of Sting/Cactus Jack vs Vader/Ric Flair, tag title match of Freebirds vs Midnight Express, and two other guys. I think their names were Brian Pillman and Steve Austin.

Wrestling may not have had as rabid of a following in Houston as it does in Philly, but who would've thought that the wrestling of then would be leaps and bounds ahead of where it is now...at least in quality.

Big Daddy Donnie said...

I gotta throw this in...
The only time I ever saw Abby live was well past his prime. It was the mid 90s and he was doin a show in Toronto.

I interviewed him before the match and asked him if he'd PLEASE pull out a fork and eat the man's face. He said he hadn't done the fork gimmick in a while, but said he would. I was sitting ringside doin the play by play. When he pulled the fork out he looked over and gave me a nod, like "this is for you".