Check This Out...

3.04.2010

Angelo Poffo Passes Away

Former professional wrestler and promoter (John) Angelo Poffo died this morning in his sleep. He was 84 years of age.

Poffo ran International Championship Wrestling for several years, and ran shows in Tennessee, Arkansas and Kentucky.

Younger wrestling fans simply remember him as the father to former WWF wrestler "Leaping" Lanny Poffo and former WWF / WCW World Champion, "Macho Man" Randy Savage.

Funny little side note: Poffo is a former world record holder. His record for most consecutive sit ups stood for many years. He did 6,033 in one session.

Poffo's in ring career began back in 1948 where he would work under his real name or under a hood as "The Masked Miser". Canadian wrestling historians may best remember Poffo's run as "The Carpet Bagger" during the 70s and 80s when he was working for Emile Dupre in Atlantic Grand Prix Wrestling in the Maritimes. It was during his run with Dupre that fans got to see Lanny and Randy often tag with their father.

Poffo made a few appearances for WCW in the mid 90s, acting as a mentor to Randy Savage - and breaking kayfabe by telling the tv audience that they were in fact father and son. In 1995, he was inducted into the World Championship Wrestling Hall Of Fame.

I personally had the honor of meeting Angelo Poffo in 1999 at a WCW Legends Night that was a part of Monday Nitro. The event was held in Buffalo, NY. I had been set up for a one on one interview with Randy Savage. I was told Randy was in a bad mood and I probably wouldn't get more than 2 or 3 minutes with him. So, my first question I asked was about the angle he was in at the time: WCW's "new blood" vs the old guard. I wanted to know how Randy felt being cast in the role of an old guy that needs to move over. His answer:

"Ooooooo I'm tinkin.... tinkin .... tinkin ....... I'M TINKIN THIS INTERVIEW IS OVER!! Yeaaaaaa!" He then spun around, and high fived Ric Flair on his way out the door.

Angelo Poffo, who was in a wheelchair motioned to me with such a gentle look on his face. He motioned for me to lean in. He said softly "He can be a jerk, can't he?" I sheepishly responded "I guess I offended him. I didn't mean to". Angelo replied with "You have your job to do, and he has his. Don't let him rattle you son".

I think asked Mr. Poffo for a few minutes of his time to get an interview. He declined and very humbly stated, "Nobody wants to hear from me." I assured him he was wrong, but he insisted that interviewing an "old man" wasn't what the youth wanted to hear.

For the next 4 or 5 minutes I chatted with Mr.Poffo. I honestly can't remember the particulars of the chat. Small talk mostly, but I remember walking away with such a sense of "calm". He was a true class act.

All of us here at Tha O Show wish the Poffo family nothing but the best during this very difficult time.



0 comments: on "Angelo Poffo Passes Away"