Check This Out...

11.18.2009

Too Much Information

Ever get the feeling that we know too damn much? I know with most sports on the planet that there are multiple sites and blogs dedicated to them.

But with wrestling, it seems to be the only sport that we can find out about days and even weeks in advance. Yes, this is the case because its predetermined. But that’s not what I wanna talk about. I wanna talk about knowing too much in the sense of a wrestlers past.

Mr. Perfect. Man, when I was little this guy was one of my heroes. When I found out he died from drug use I was pissed. Fuck the five stages of grief, I jumped to anger. Here was a guy that played the perfect heel.

He had fame, possibly money (that stuff is always debatable in wrestling), and a family. Yet he abused drugs. We hear about the new generation of wrestlers that are smart and don’t do the things the past superstars did. We all know this is bullshit. If it wasn’t such a problem the Wellness Policy wouldn’t be necessary and used as often as it is. We can use obvious examples like Jeff Hardy and shocking ones like Funaki.

I flat out refuse to read Bret Hart’s book. Its been out for a long while and I have heard some stuff about it, but I don’t want the image I have of the guy ruined. “The Hitman” doing drugs? No! He is the Excellence of Execution, damn it. Bret don’t do drugs!

That’s just the childish mark in me that refuses to grow up. I hate hearing about guys I loved growing up being on crack and banging whores while on the road. It just makes me feel, what’s the word?, silly for loving these guys. You should’ve seen the look on my face when I found out that Miss Elisabeth was on drugs when she was with Lex Luger. Hogan is writing about being broke and his wife leaving him. Hulk Hogan is broke! Seriously?!

I wonder what books will be written in the future. Will Batista eventually say “Yeah, so I did steroids every chance I got”? Possibly. We have one guy that is clean and its being used as a tool to get him over as a heel. CM Punk is drug free yet gets booed. He’s currently feuding with an ex convict with questionable skills in the ring that we are supposed to cheer.

Everyone knows about Ron Killing’s criminal past. MVP’s criminal past. Cryme Tyme’s alleged current criminal history. In Punk’s last feud he was battling a guy that looked like he just did drugs before coming out the curtain doing his what my friend called “tweaker dance.” Will Punk eventually write a tell all book saying that he actually did use drugs? I’m 80% sure he will.

What are these books good for? Yeah, we all like hearing dirt on wrestlers, but, damn. How far will it go? Everyone has a story to tell and the books that are full of bullshit (The Rock Says…”) are lame and the ones full of drama and fights (“To Be The Man”) are entertaining. Am I at fault? Am I partially to blame for these books that are constantly being cranked out? Yeah, I am.

Lance Malibu was one the show (Tha O Show) talking about his book that covers the history of wrestling in Canada. That’s awesome and I hope he sells the shit out of it. I want to read some good books that talk about what it was like to plan matches, sell out arenas, be in the ring with legends before they were legends. That’s what I want.

But what we get is nothing but bashing. “He couldn’t draw flies.” “He didn’t know a wristlock from a wristwatch.” “He was stiffer than a starched shirt.” The books I wanna read wouldn’t sell. Would any of you buy a book about how much someone loves wrestling?


5 comments: on "Too Much Information"

Gmoney19116 said...

i agree with everything you said.

i'm 24 years old and i've been watching wrestling my whole entire life. sometimes it is too much information to be able to handle because you grow up and you idolize these people. when the rest of my friends were playing with army men, i was playing with wrestling action figures. i had posters all over my bedroom wall.

i don't really watch today's product; i keep up on it through internet sites such as this one. that's basically it. i'm one of those guys that watches dvds of old stuff when it comes out along with the vhs tapes i still have from my childhood.

the more that comes out about these people that is bad, the less i wanna read it. so i actually think, believe it or not, that the internet has ruined the sport of professional wrestling to its core. and some things you're just not meant to know about people. all human beings have things that we hide. it's time to put away the microscope.

Dante said...

Thanks, GMoney19116. I too pop in old ass VHS tapes and either cringe at certain matches I though were good or pull a Tyson Dukes and watch them in a new way and appreciate them more than I could have as a child. A match I loved as a kid was The Beverly Brothers vs. The Steiner Brothers I believe at Survivor Series or Summer Slam. Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan were doing commentary but for most of the match there was a technical issue and no one was speaking. The wrestlers were still able to tell a great story. Old tapes are the way to go.

As for too much information, I’m fine knowing when someone is getting suspended or something. But when I hear that Michelle McCool only gets titles because of who she is banging, it yanks me out of a match. Finding out that guys I liked growing up are now bitter as hell makes me sigh heavily. Still, I’ll keep watching and waiting for a change.

GMoney19116 said...

the match ur talking about was at royal rumble 1993. it was the first match on the card.

Dante said...

Dude, thank you! I still have the VHS of that and remember having to clean the entire house to order the PPV! Well worth it. I even have the preshow where they interviewed the contestants. Damn, that was a good show. That was the one where Yokozuna won, I believe.

Gmoney19116 said...

yes, Yokozuna did win the rumble that year. that reminded me of one of the funniest moments in wrestling history. at least for me, anyways. it was towards the end of the match and Savage tried to pin Yoko but Yoko kicked out. it caused Savage to be thrown over the ropes and lose. lol.