Check This Out...

2.05.2008

Tuesday Night Turmoil: Why Even Write It?

Two weeks into the reign of Chavo Guerrero and there is talk of a rematch. Apparently the rematch will go down at Backlash, and I guess now Joey Styles is good enough to call, "Backlash?" Do allow me though, to say that I'm finally glad somebody gave CM Punk a microphone. Even though this week he was "Crazy Mariachi" Punk.

When you devote an entire segment and more than five minutes of Michael Cole and Taz bantering about Colin Delaney, you're having problems. I'm all for new guys, but this gimmick is far from fresh, and even farther from entertaining. Stevie Richards return, and his discussion of his 9 surgery's was much more entertaining.

I was talking to Christopher Casúr during ECW, and he had mixed reactions about the "Gulf of Mexico" match. It was a mixture of the three meals he had eaten today. He and I thought that the loser of the match should have been deported, but apparently that wouldn't be PC. Seriously though Dave Lagana just got fired, did they hire Vince Russoin his place? TNA! TNA! TNA!

We got a quick dose of the females, and I still think that Yada Yada chick is in over her head in the ring with most of the other WWE Diva's. You put any female beside Layla, and she loses sorely. Even Victoria, and Mickie. Dan, bro, as far as Layla and the pee, soap and shower, for a lifelong run at that? You're kidding right?

Let me transition back to Colin Delaney. I just don't see the point. Is this a guy you can put alot of faith in down the road? Maybe the E see's more in him than I do, but then again, maybe they're just killing time, and giving Tommy Dreamer a reason to be on TV. There was an online pole asking if the people wanted to see more TD, they responded with a resounding yes.

We all know how the E loves it's fans, so they listened to the votes of the people, and they'll use Tommy Dreamer. They'll use him to put over new guys. His true calling seemingly. Not only is he putting over Colin Delaney, but Miz'n'Morrison as well. Oh joy, I can barely contain my excitement.

The WWE does not know how to do things in moderation. Two Elimination Chamber matches at No Way Out, John Cena being rammed down the throats of helpless smartened up individuals everywhere. I think it is the most noble of wishes to wish that John Cena would not appear again on WWE TV. At least, that's just me, and a few hundred others.

The E also doesn't know how to space out feuds, allow them to build, and incorporate other superstars into them to get more people over, thus killing two birds with one stone. They can do each alone, but neither together. It is with the deepest regret that I inform you, what was once WWE is now dead and buried. It has given way to CCW. Cena Championship Wrestling. I don't know where else this happened, but there were seven John Cena commercials on ECW tonight in my area. SEVEN!

Speaking of commercials, during the Diva match Spaz and Joey Styles hyped the Diva's appearing on Project Runway. I have no idea what that is, and I don't really care, but I do know Layla will be there, so it wont be too bad. I do think though, that it would better serve the E to get their shit straightened out internally before they advertise their "product" elsewhere.

Coming up on WrestleMania we have exactly no confirmed matches, no feuds to build, and in all likelihood before WrestleMania we'll have a John Cena Championship win, a Triple H heel turn, alot of Cena/Triple H promo's, a "title fight" build in a 4 week span, and overall shitty shows. Now it's carrying over. ECW will be overrun with "Raw" and "SmackDown!" and the advertisements, promo's and vignettes.

Time to move onto the meat and potatoes of this weeks "ECW" broadcast. The "Gulf of Mexico" match. Remember Hammer's mixed reaction? It's time to relive it. Sure it was a nice concept, during the Attitude Era, or in TNA. In WWECW it has no place. It was pointless, and insignificant. A normal Extreme Rules match just wouldn't work I suppose.

I'm guessing the meeting went something along the lines of, "Well, I'm bored, let's throw some water into the match." A short pause and someone else firing back with, "Hot damn, there's a winner!" That was probably the most discussed angle they've had since the Mahoney/Kelly angle that went up in smoke like Fronte's weight-loss plans. I don't see it getting better either.

The match itself had all the components of a good match. Falls count anywhere, two good workers, and a working story. That, apparently is not enough. The E had to put their own twist on it and ruin it. What kind of stipulation is that anyway? It's like the Royal Rumble we all had around the pool when we were 12.

Chavo ended up losing, and I had no initial problem with him taking the plunge. Two probelms emerged though. After he took the GTS the lame ass backward jump killed it. Then the lifeguard or Navy guy with the snorkel rescued him. Come on now, it's not hard. Put the camera back on Punk and have him laugh and walk away. Let Chavo take the GTS and stumble backward, don't jump. Unbelievable.

Quick hits...
*Team Victoria def. Team Kelly
*John Morrison def. Tommy Dreamer
*Kofi Kingston def. James Curtis
*CM Punk def. ECW Champion Chavo Guerrero in a "Gulf of Mexico" match


11 comments: on "Tuesday Night Turmoil: Why Even Write It?"

Anonymous said...

I thoguht tonights show was the most exciting in quite awhile, and I'm including Raw and Smackdown. Punks promo to start the show was gold. Although I'm usually not a fan of stupid stips, I thought the Gulf of Mexico match was great for 2 reasons.

-First, it breaks the monotony of the same old shit every week (see any episode of Raw starring John Cena).

-Secondly, and most importantly in my opinion, it builds CM Punk as a bit of an edgy character. Punk's work has been solid since he started with the E, but he's never had that O-worthy moment that really gives the fans a chance to get behind him. This match shows that the E is finally trying to give him that spot, and in my opinion, it worked. The pop he got after the GTS into the Gulf, given that it wasn't prerecorded tv magic, was pretty loud. With that Lagana guy gone, I think Punk's going to be the breakout star of the year in 08.

Other notes about the show...
-Kofi Kingston continues to impress
-Tazz needs commentating lessons
-Nice to see some old ECW footage, and good to see that Big Stevie Cool's comin back
-Why is Kelly wrestling 3 times a week instead of stripping for us?

All in all I gotta disagree, as I thought this show was really good. I've been looking forward to ECW more than any other wrestling show for a few weeks now, and after tonight I will continue to do so.

D.J.B. said...

The thing is, as far as the E goes, they've already pushed him as their breakout star. That was last year. I agree with you, that he needed the promo, I said that in the article, but as far as this making him a breakout star I can't agree.

I agree that not having Cena on the show is great, but the ads are getting out of hand, and in a week or two Cena will spill over onto all 3 brands. It's Mania time.

As far as other notes:
Agree
Disagree, but because he needs to be fired
Agree
I'm just happy to see Kelly.

Anonymous said...

Hm, I thought this weeks show was pretty much last weeks show.
I don't like falls count anywhere, especially if I've paid money for a good seat.
On a plus note, no bid daddy V.

Anonymous said...

stop hating on Colin Olsen you douche bag

Anonymous said...

Dude Johnson hates you as much as you hate wrestling

Anonymous said...

I can understand if you thought the actual match was kind of cheesy. I guess we just disagree there. But you have to admit that since Punk joined the Fed, the best word to describe his push would be half-assed (on the part of creative, not him).

He'd have a promo every now and then, but he wouldnt say anything worth hearing. He'd win matches, but nothing special would happen. It would be the knee to the face, GTS, and pin. His build was just becoming that of a typical cheesy babyface. There was nothing original about it, and he would probably fade away in a few years.

My argument is that this match, in combination with the promo, in combination with the mariachi spot last week, give his character some originality that fans tend to get behind. As a Punk fan, or even just as a fan of good workers, this is something that we have to be optimistic for, because once the fans get behind him, he'll start seeing more and more TV time.

Lots of people have said that Punk needs to be a heel because of his indy work, but I disagree. He has too much of a following among smarks, and the E hates when their heels get cheered. Therefore, make him a face, but with a heelish edge. It actually reminds me of what TNA is trying to do with Christian right now. Thats what I believe they're doing with Punk now as well. Ever since the guitar smash, which is kind of a heelish move, I've believed that. This week's show made me believe it even more.

The bottomline is that Punk needs to be something original, not just another flash in the pan baby face who only lasts a couple years until people tune out to him. I think the fact that Lagana's gone has a lot to do with Punk's new push as well.

As far as Kelly goes, I like seeing her on TV too, just not in the ring. Let her go back to being the slutty ring girl who likes to take off her clothes. Now theres a gimmick.

Also, I disagree with you on the Cena commercials. I think they're great, as they allowed me to take a longer shit during the commercial break without missing any of the show.

Anonymous said...

Dude Johnson, you're like the kid that doesn't even place in the Special Olympics, we can't pick on you and not feel guilty.

Anonymous said...

I swear I missed the part of wrestling history when wanting to be entertained became being a smark. People are bashed for wanting to see a good match. Or at least a half decent one.

Seeing Victoria more is making my pants tighten. She has more talent in her bum leg than most female wrestlers in The E.

Still on the fence about Kofi. Glad that he is facing jobbers though. If this were a year or so ago you know he would be feuding with Test or Mike Knox for a glimpse at Kelly x 2 tits.

Dreamer is a non-issue for me. I mean, I like the guy, but he is just there. He reminds me of old ECW and seeing old ECW in new ECW just makes me sad.

The Punk/Chavo match is a good example of The E feeding fans shit for so long that they have started to not only like the taste, but crave it. Empty coolers dont hurt. I know this for a fact. The ending was way too predictable. Chavo took the GTS, landed on his feet, and was aware enough to panic before going into the water? Come on, dude.

Shows are supposed to make you wanna tune in next week. I dont want to see what happens with the ECW title because I dont like Chavo and am losing more and more interest in Punk. The guitar shot was heelish but done in a cartoony way. Woulda been cooler if he came through the crowd, grabbed a guitar and hit him.

Dan-e-o said...

DJ,

With the way you phrased your question to me...I don't know what you're asking bro.

In other words....HUH???

D.J.B. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
D.J.B. said...

Dan-You said you wouldn't let her pee on you. Dude, come on, a shower would take care of that. It'd be worth it. At least to me it would.

Dante-I couldn't agree more with most of what you're saying.

Matt-Longer shit brakes aside, I see no positive whatsoever in having John Cena on Television. It just doesn't work unless you're an 8 year old, a horny teenage girl, or a fan who is so sick of this shit that you're beginning to accept it.

The thing with Punk though, he has been pushed and as a face I'm sure he could make some money, but I've seen his work as a heel and it's my favorite, but I'm willing to ride this face character and see where it goes.