Check This Out...

2.12.2008

Tha Raw Report: Build & Bury

Editor's note: Sorry for the delay in posting, last night I had a headache that could've killed a horse and didn't feel up to writing anything.

Last night, Raw did an excellent job of pushing its matches at No Way Out, which I applaud. However, it seemed throughout the night that if you aren't involved in No Way Out, creative seemed to be far happier just having you do whatever tickled their fancy.

This Hornswoggle storyline has jumped more sharks than a waterskiing Evil Knievel. I'm really getting tired of this overplayed "father" angle. I get that originally, this angle was supposed to have gone on until WrestleMania. However, originally the son was supposed to be Mr. Kennedy, and even though that was blown, WWE seems dead set on doing whatever they can to keep this storyline going until Mania.

I'm really hopeful that this will be the angle that pushes Finlay into the main event, but now I have this awkward feeling that all it's going to lead to is Finlay vs. Vince at WrestleMania, which I don't want to see. Once you've seen one Vince bloodbath, you've seen them all. Not to mention that, if that happens, Finlay will go right back to the midcard the day after.

Poor Brian Kendrick. I'm guessing London is still injured, but is it really necessary to have this guy get buried routinely? Is this the by-product of Vince wanting more "realistic" matches? Now, instead of jobbing out the big guys who can't work, he's jobbing out the smaller guys who can? Lame.

It was nice to see Paul Burchill back, because Burchill is a good worker. I would've preferred the pirate gimmick over this new one, though. Anyone else find it painful that they named his sister "Katie"? That has to be the name of a girl who stood Vince up on a date once with the way they've used it in the past.

John Cena, feel free to exercise your right to blow me. Vince doing the aforementioned incest angle clearly shows that he still wants to try and be edgy. With that in mind, why do the people backstage have such a stiffy for pushing this overglorified cartoon character? That's all I have to say about Cena.

Chris Jericho and JBL seem to have forgotten most of their hate towards each other. I get that now they're trying to build the Elimination Chamber match, and I applaud creative for that, but there's still animosity between the two, and while watching this match, it seemed like most of that had subsided. Umaga coming out was a nice touch, as well. He's supposed to be a ruthless savage, it makes sense for him to come out and lay out everybody in his path. Good character development, now there's something we don't get much of these days.

In the same vein of good buildup, Jeff Hardy took on Shawn Michaels. This is a match that I will always O for. I'm looking forward to seeing what Hardy will pull out in the Chamber. With the confined nature of the chamber, the high spots you can pull off are limited, but it still should be exciting to watch.

In short, WWE has gotten me excited about the Raw Elimination Chamber, and I would be excited about Cena/Orton if it wasn't for the fact that WWE couldn't make Cena interesting if he was holding hamburgers in both hands and a sandwich board saying "Ask me about free hookers".

Tha results:
*Hornswoggle def. Mr. McMahon
*Chris Jericho def. JBL
*Paul Burchill def. Brian Kendrick
*John Cena def. Mark Henry
*Melina def. Maria
*Jeff Hardy def. Shawn Michaels


14 comments: on "Tha Raw Report: Build & Bury"

D.J.B. said...

Wasn't Paul London on TV last week? Hell I cant keep up with the WWE inconsistency that runs rampant.

The HBK/Jeff Hardy match was damn near great. I honestly was shocked at seeing Hardy go over clean.

Did anyone else feel like shooting themselves in the fucking foot when Mark Henry tapped to the loose arm head hugger? By the way, it's been too long since I said this, Fuck John Cena. His 100% means he can wrestle about 10% as good as the rest of the roster, Khali included.

Tha Santino spot was great...how the fuck does he get paid to kiss those chicks? I don't even think Jillian is Maria-level hot, but dammit she's hot. Much love to Santino for having that spot.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, HHH wins EM. Sadly, I lose my desire to watch 'Mania....wrestling. HBK vs. Hardy was great to see in the main event, but too bad the whole show sans Santino was ass.

Anonymous said...

Stamford, Connecticut: Bad Booking Lives Here

Anonymous said...

I know Santino got to "kiss" 2 chicks last nite, but the Jillian kiss wass ofake, u could easily see her put her hand in fron of there mouths...and arent Santino & Maria dating in real life?? I heard that a month or so back, and it sure looked like they are a real couple by that kiss Santion got. Damn, what a lucky dude....must be fuckin nice!

Anonymous said...

London was on tv last week(or the week before, whatever the fuck it was) but he got distracted by Santino on the outside while Kendrick took the back stabber from Carlito in the ring...Im guessin he was still injured but made the appearance cuz they were in his hometown.

Im pretty much OVER Hornswaggle/McMahon. I found it pretty amusing at first...and for a couple months after that even. I mean it wasnt hillarious but there was some funny spots...now, blah. There better be a big payoff for someone in this. Sadly I think we ARE looking at Finlay/McMahon at WM. Also, side note...can anyone tell me why Hornswaggle just kinda makes weird noises? I understand he was revealed as Vinnie Mac's son, but hes a grown ass man. Its not like he was just birthed.

Also over JBL/Y2J. WWE could have played this out until AT LEAST No Way Out,if not Mania...but they blew their load at the Rumble, thus, its played out. Thank god Umanga saved the day. I would say Im a JBL mark, but I did enjoy his run as champ. But its lookin like Justin Hawk Bradshaw has put on some pounds behind the table. Granted he was never "thin" but hes got a nice lil bear gut goin for him now.

I totally missed the Divas match. I did catch Santinos bit at the end. I can only hope adn pray this is leading up to a Santino/Carlito match in the near futre as I am a mark for both men.

One thing not mentioned in this article was the Flair/Kennedy promo. Kennedy continues to amaze me on the mic. I thought he cut a great promo lastnight, including talking over Flair(although not into the mic). I will say by Flair not wreslting every week, it has kept whatever small interest I had in the "wion or go home" angle. I think its apparent hes not ending his career at NWO though. I think a heel turn for him would be outstanding. Have him allign himself with Vince to "protect" his career...that would be dope.

HBL/Hardy de-liv-ered. Now, Im not saying its match of the year worthy. But it was great...better than whats been on tv lately. I havent seen a half hour main event in a while. Both got in some gteat spots and it was well worked. Hardy going over clean was a huge suprise to me as well. I was definitly expecting a schmoz ending. I did notive, dont know if anyone else picked up on it, some definite heel points from HBK lastnight. Nothing major or anything. Pouding fists with Hardy then htting him right away. Working over the bloddy spots. He took an extra second or so when Hardy grabbed the ropes while in the figure 4...there were some other ones that popped into my head as I was watching. He was deinitly the aggressor wich made me nostalgic for the Boy Toy days(we, that and Ive watched my HBK dvd everyday for the past 2 weeks since hes my god dam hero!).

Bones

Anonymous said...

I am so over Vince and Horny. I am tired of it. Please make them stop. Nice lump Vince has on his head now. I thought that stick Finlay used wasnt that damned hard but apparently it is.

JBL/Y2J = Too many letters! The match was meh. JBL shouldve stayed retired or not wrestling weekly. It doesnt look like he is getting better. Plus unless he is talking I dont pay him much mind. I tend to forget he is on the roster.

Paul Burchill had the most jobberific outfit! He looked like Johnny Swinger. I am not sure, but are we supposed to believe that he was never a part of the WWE? Either as a pirate or that fucking bad ass that ran with Regal? His finisher was shit. That move has been done to death. Stick with the curb stomp or go back to the Flip Bottom.

Cena & Henry or Bathroom Break? Bathroom Break continues its Goldberg like streak of 143 and 0!!!

Melina got smaller tits. Thats all I have to say about that match.

The Hardy/HBK match was good. I wish faces would go against faces more often. It keeps you wondering who will win.

Anonymous said...

the meathead standing w/ hardy-esque stocking arms crossed during hbk match made me laugh. you looked like a tool. and now your lameness lives on my dvr. you look like a jarhead at a rave.

Anonymous said...

Hardy can't fucking sell a leg injury after he teased tapping to that figure four-like thing... he RAN to the turnbuckle. Apparently there have been some John Cena DVDs in Hardy's player lately. It just really bothered me because he's one guy that sells PPV injuries two RAWs later. But lately he's been Cenafying his selling. Gay.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I thought the Hardy/HBK match would've been better suited for say WRESTLEMANIA. That match was awesome and the clean pin I think only adds to how special that could've been. Instead the rumor is that Flair will face HBK. I dunno, I found that HBK has put on some really good Mania matches in recent years. I think him vs Hardy would be great.

D.J.B. said...

He sold it up until that point. Also don't discount that the E probably told him to look strong. Cena doesn't know how to sell on top of being told not to, Hardy knows how but is being told not to, I blame it on the E.

The guy in the Hardy outfit did look rediculous, it made me laugh too.

Brian G said...

I liked Umaga better when he was called Samoa Joe.

(Yes I know that Samoa Joe and Umaga are played by different actors, but Samoa Joe and Umaga are pretty much the same character).

Anonymous said...

I still dont get the Umaga/Joe connection. I'd say Joe is more like old Taz than Umaga. Just because they are both Samoan doesnt mean they are the same. You might as well say The Rock and Umaga are the same.

One talks. One doesnt. One does submissions, wrestles, and talks. One doesnt. One has a iced out grill he bought in the wild. One doesnt.

Anonymous said...

dudes, i can't believe you still watch american sports entertainment. anyone that watches, or god save you enjoy, anything american is a retard. its never been good and never will be.

Anonymous said...

And you are...?