Check This Out...

3.07.2007

Sad News On Bad News

Allen Coage, better known to wrestling fans as Bad News Allen (or Brown if you remember him from his WWF days) died suddenly yesterday.

Coage was an Olympic Bronze medalist in Judo and was considered one of the all time legit tough guys by his peers.

He may have been born in New York City, but he was considered an honorary Canadian by many close friends and members of the wrestling community. He was a star in Stu Hart’s Calgary Stampede Promotion and was living in Calgary right up until his death.

Coage had heart surgery several weeks ago and complained of severe chest pain before being taken to a Calgary hospital where he died before 6AM on Tuesday morning.

Coage was one of the first people I ever interviewed in this business. I interviewed him several times and maintained semi-regular contact with him for many years.

He talked to me many times about some of the evils of this business. Fast money, fast women, fast ruin. Blatant racism. Drugs. He was always candid and real. 'Kayfabe' was a word he paid no attention to.

He really was one of a kind.

There will be more on Bad News Allen on this week’s edition of Tha O Show – Rated O Radio.

Coage is survived by his wife Helen and their three kids.


8 comments: on "Sad News On Bad News"

Anonymous said...

I remember the match he had with jake the snake, where it was bad news with his rats against jake and his snake.ONE of the best matches i ever saw. R.I.P.

Tim Haught said...

I remember once reading an article in WWF Magazine about Bad News gunning for Hulk Hogan and the WWF Title. I remember thinking, Bad News? He isn't even a challenge towards Hogan.

At the time I was about 5 years old, and I was used to watching Hogan defeat monsters, as Vince had conditioned my Kindergarten mind to believe that size was indeed everything.

In addition, whenever I did see Bad News on television, he was beating some preliminary guy like Barry O or a pre-Gillberg Dwayne Gill.

The aforementioned feud never really came into existence, but Bad News sure gave us our share of memorable moments. As G-Money noted, the feud with Jake Roberts with Rats vs. Snake was truly memorable.

In addition, Bad News had many notable Wrestlemania appearances that include battling "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan to a 2x4 vs. chair double DQ, and wrestling a half black painted "Rowdy" Roddy Piper.

My favorite Bad News moment took place at WrestleMania 4, when Bad News and Bret "Hitman" Hart teamed to co-win a battle royal. As Hart and Brown raised their hands in victory, Bad News showed his deceptive cat-like agility and leveled Hart with his Ghettobuster finisher and became the sole survivor. Hart then reentered the ring and destroyed his trophy, turning babyface in the process.

Bad News stayed in touch with fans through his internet site located at: http://www.fortunecity.com/olympia/christie/29/

It was there where I first read the story of Andre the Giant's upset stomach. I'll let Bad News tell it:

"Andre The Giant: Mexico City, a month before Andre passed away was the last time I saw or worked with him. We were on opposing sides in a six man tag. My partners in the match were Bam Bam Bigelow and Yokezuna, Andre was with two Mexican guys. Andre had been sick all day with diarrhea. During our match I was in the ring with him, he threw me in the corner and gave me his big ass bump, at that very moment he shit himself and it went all over my chest. I fell out of the ring puking my guts out and wishing I was somewhere, anywhere else. I looked up at my two partners and they were laughing their heads off. I left and went back to the locker room to clean myself up. I did not return to finish the match. When they finished the match and came into the locker room they were all hysterical." - Bad News Brown

Unfortunately, all the men mentioned in that story are now in wrestling heaven.

I encourage all of you to check out the site to read Brown's accounts of Japan, Randy Savage, Jake Roberts, Davey Boy Smith, Hulk Hogan, and others.

It appears as though Brown was penning a book at the time of his death. With his penchant for storytelling, I can't imagine that it would have been anything but great.

Hopefully he got enough done that the book can be released posthumously, and the profits can go towards his family.

I have yet to read any acknowledgement from WWE.com. Rest in Peace Bad News...

Anonymous said...

I remember watching Bad News Allen wrestle for Calgary Stampede's TV show each week, he seemed awesome. Wasn't the same in WWF. Great write up on one of wrestlings original tough guys.

Tim Haught said...

Just came back to reread my post. I noticed I said "Ghettobuster" for some unknown reason, when I obviously know that his move was the GhettoBlaster. Not really sure what the slip was about, but here's the correction.

Anonymous said...

The news of Allen's passing hit me harder than most deaths. To me, he was always larger than life.

Bad News was one of the few wrestlers on this planet that legit scared the shit out of me and I will forever hold him in highest regard for that.

He threatened to tear my head off once back in New Westminster. Prior to that he had always been cordial and easy going, if not overly friendly, towards me.

It was before a show, I beaked off and he got right up in my face daring me to utter another word. I never said boo because I legit thought I was dead if I did.

He never let me off the hook and to this day I don't know if I was being worked or if he was legit pissed at me.

That's how good he was. Only Andre & the Original Sheik have scared me as much as News did and he did it while I was a grown man, unlike the Sheik & the Giant who terrorized a 10 year old kid for laughs.

I am truly saddened by Allen's passing and hope his family and friends find strength and support from the wrestling community during this time of pain.

Anonymous said...

R.I.P Bad News Brown

Dan-e-o said...

In this week's edition of Tha O Show radio hour, I think I incorrectly referred to Bad News' finisher as the "Ghostbuster".

Tim, we were both wrong...it's not "Ghettobuster" either...but instead "Ghetto Blaster"...and that moment where he turned on Bret was one of my favourite Bad News moments. It basically jump started Bret's career as a babyface.

Bad News was truly one of pro wrestling's most underrated talents...he'll definitely be missed.

Anonymous said...

My fondess memories of bad news was his rats vs. snake fued with jake roberts and i think a lot of people forget his fued with Randy Savage during his first reign as champion, in 1988 they most've fueded for like 3 months..