Check This Out...

1.27.2007

WSX Debuts...

Well, Vince said back in 2002 that the WWE needed competition in order to maintain their edge. He admitted they produced their best television when they were desperately trying to get one over on Bischoff and WCW Nitro. That war ended and the WWE went to a split brand gimmick, in an effort to create internal competition. That has in fact been a complete disaster.

TNA came along and looked to be a threat, but the WWE hasn't blinked an eye. Perhaps they will take notice of Wrestling Society X, a company that has been in the planning stages forever and finally made their television debut last night.

SpikeTV has been good to TNA, but MTV and their affiliated networks have 10 times the potential reach.

Last nights show was a bit of a mixed bag. It started with a RED HOT match that surpassed anything I've seen on RAW or TNA television for quite some timee. Jack Evans showed why he is considered the top high flyer in the world, but defeated Matt Sydal (accompanied by his Gap Model girl Lizzie) in a quick paced spot fest. Among Evans highspots ... a standing corkscrew shooting star press, and a 630 Senton Splash for the win. Dammn. Plus Sydal used one of my all time fav moves... The Gory Special. I marked out.

After profiling some of the tag teams we will be seeing in WSX (what? tag teams get air time? Weeeiiird. It'll never get over)

We moved on to an over the top rope royal rumble type match with a ladder match twist. After a certain number of men had been eliminated, ladders came into play, and guys would climb and try to grab one of two contracts. The contracts would put them in a match the following week for the new WSX Championship.

This match featured Vampiro, 6 Pac (Sean Waltman / X-Pac), Teddy Hart, New Jack, Youth Suicide, Kaos, Puma, Al Katrazz, Justin Credible and Chris Hamrick.

This match featured almost no selling whatsoever. Hey Cena, we found the perfect place for you to work!!

Teddy Hart is still an athletic freak of nature but still does stuff that makes you say "What the hell was that for?" If he can ever get his shit together, he is a money making machine.

Vampiro and 6 Pac grabbed the contracts and will face each other next week for the WSX title. It came down to the Canadian boy, Vamp and my Portuguese bro, Credible. Personally, I would have rather seen Credible snag a contract and the title next week.

This company needs instant credibility and what better way than to cut some promos stating that their champion is a former ECW World Champion back when ECW still mattered.

Vampiro would make a perfect foil, and set up Waltman as the heel who is sick and tired of being held back by shitty gimmicks and politics.

To me, that's the start of a great fed.

I was blown away by Jim Ross's arrogrance (or maybe ignorance) a week or two ago in one of his 500 blogs. He stated he knew very little about WSX and then openly asked "Who will their stars be?", suggesting there aren't stars out there for the taking.

Remember the old days Jim? Remember when your company MADE stars? Remember when the old ECW took WWF scraps and turned them into main eventers, that were respected and loved by the fans?

Remember the days when you would have loved to have been part of a young, hungry company like this?

WSX has a lot behind it and a lot to look forward to. I'm curious to see if MTV is in this for the long haul, or will put this show into re-runs after it's second week.


3 comments: on "WSX Debuts..."

Anonymous said...

I saw the show and I really liked it.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I caught the battle royal. It was pretty good, but the downside was the "production" value. A few guys took bumps onto light tubes and the whole arena "shook." But I think WSX will make it, I kinda hope so.

On another note Vampiro shouldnt have a shirt that bares his "abs." That was worse than Jeff Hardy when he first came back.

Anonymous said...

I didn't catch it because they've been promoting it so much as airing on Tuesday at 10:30 and when my girlfriend told me it was coming on after "true life: I'm a sumo wrestler" *which we were watching anyways* I didn't believe it because they hyped it so much for tuesday. Oh well.

I used to mark out for vampiro in WCW... and even once for him at a JCW show I went to (which was a very solid show... I went because Pondo and Abdullah the Butcher were there) I now look back at that and wonder why I did and will never know the answer to it.