Check This Out...

10.24.2006

Cyber Sunday: Marks VS. Smarks

"DAMN!" That's all Ron Simmons had to come out and say to be funnier than John Cena on "Raw" last night. That's all I'm going to say about Cena in this article. Promise.

Here's another "What is wrong with this world?" thought. Kevin Federline will sell more records than Dan-e-o. Sigh. It's "balderdash"! (King Booker rules).

Gotta say though, I envy the guy. I'd love to be in his position right now. A legitimate heel with two straight appearances on "Raw". And he hasn't done a half-bad job either. He hasn't really stumbled on the mic and seems to really understand the psychology of heat-seeking...using the "never fails" technique of trashing the hometown sports team...in this case, the Chicago Cubs.

Man, if I could stand in a WWE ring with a mic just once...

Anyway, Cyber Sunday is a pay-per-view that literally not only pits WWE Superstars against each other but wrestling fans are competing against each other as well. There is still widespread skepticism, however, that the entire event is a work and that WWE already knows who will be participating in each match and to what capacity. But going on the notion, that we as fans actually DO have a say in the matter...the REAL match-up as it relates to Cyber Sunday is the Marks VS. the Smarks.

Let's face it. A so-called "smark" is someone who actually understands the business and is mainly concerned with being entertained. For example, if you ask me, no REAL fan would select King Booker's World Heavyweight Championship to be on the line at the upcoming PPV, as it is in our best interests to have him remain the champ. He is easily, the most entertaining...and dammit, most skilled wrestler among the three superstars involved in the match.

A "mark" on the other hand, would likely have Booker put his title on the line since he's a "bad guy" - in hopes that a certain WWE Champion, who will remain nameless, will snatch up the World title.

Let's look at the rest of the "choices" given us and determine how markified this event may be.

DX VS. Edge and Orton: Now, considering that all three options for guest referee are considered heels in Eric Bischoff, Jonathan Coachman and Vince McMahon, it's hard to say what the "mark" choice would be. In hopes that I can at least be considered a smark, however, I'd have to go with Vinnie Mac.

Mr. Mahon is aruably the most entertaining character in all of the WWE. I still can't get over the shot of his bloody face elevating above the ring apron with a look of pure evil during his bout with Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania XIX. McMahon still hasn't taken revenge for his beatdown at Unforgiven at the hands of DX, so it makes both the most logical...and entertaining choice. Coach and Bischoff would simply get their asses handed to them with no repercussion if they were involved. Having the boss in the ring makes the match all the more interesting.

The Umaga match: Now, in my opinion, the smark choice has GOT to be Sandman. Yet to appear in an official WWE pay-per-view, Sandman would be the most interesting opponent for Umaga. Not only can he obviously take bumps like no one's business, Sandman taking on Umaga would provide fans with a match we would otherwise NEVER see...and probably would never see again.

A loser-ass mark would choose Kane - insisting that he deserves a chance at revenge since being booted off of "Raw" at the hands of Umaga. No match would be more boring.

The Jeff Hardy match: Who would you most like to see as Intercontinental Champion? Perhaps, that's the mark's question. Who would put on the best match? That's what I'm asking. Although it's become boring to see Shelton Benjamin stuck in the mid-card, having him in the match wouldn't necessarily mean that he'd win the gold. I just think he'd have the best match with Hardy. Another Regal/Benoit affair (okay, nowhere near that good...but you know what I mean).

Ric Flair's match: Okay, it's stupid to have Flair and some other old-timer vie for the Tag Titles anyway. This is a mark's match altogether. But who would you most like to see as his partner?

Okay, honestly this question isn't really worth asking 'cause this match is going to be brutal. But, I'm going with the Hot Rod. Easily my favourite out of the choices between himself, Sgt. Slaughter and Dusty Rhodes, "Rowdy" Roddy Piper has always been a ball of fire. Comparing him to the other choices, any "smark" can figure out that the most fun would be had in having him be involved.

Although not all of the matches have been announced yet, I'm hoping that the smarks win out over the marks and salvage what would otherwise be a kind of useless pay-per-view.

Agree? Disagree? Agree to disagree? Mark or smark? You tell me.


7 comments: on "Cyber Sunday: Marks VS. Smarks"

Anonymous said...

Do votes really ever count in America...? just wondering.
That asked, I'll go ahead and agree and all points but two.
While I'd rather see Shelton get another "good" run with the ic strap its going to be carlito. And on the dx vs. Edge/Orton... all three choices suck. I'd say McMahon but am glad that feuds over, Coach is just boring. I'd put money on it being Bischoff. The ref match is a lame idea, anyone else notice that Edge hasn't been as brutal on the mic lately, kinda seems toned down... maybe its just me?

Anonymous said...

I kind of would like to see what would happen if Flair and Dusty become tag champs.... that would make me (s)MARK out.

... not to mention that I've voted for the Sandman a dozen times now... but let us not forget that he DID wrestle for wcw as.... *cough* hardcore hack *cough* ... and does anyone remember that "barbedwire deathmatch" they had on air???... yikes.

I voted Carlito... 'cause he's COOL. DUH. 'NUFF said.

p.s. Look for an "O" sign row 7 ring side, as The Extreme Enigma and Claytron "Ice Cold" 2020 will both be reppin' THA "O" SHOW at CYBER SUNDAY!!!

Anonymous said...

I've got opinions on who should compete and such, but I'm more concerned about this whole "marks vs. smarks" thing. Why do smarks think they're so much better than marks? We were all marks once in our lives, usually when we were kids. You will never convince me that a 9-year old fan would say "You know, they need to get the belt off Hogan because it's better for business." No, you either loved Hogan and wanted him to win, or hated him and wanted him to lose. This "holier than thou" crap is getting old. I don't enjoy wrestling nearly as much as I used to now that I understand how things work vs. when I thought it was all real. Hell, I almost wish I could go back to being a mark so that I could actually feel something again rather than just second guess every move they make. As a classic babyface mark, I would cheer Cena, boo Booker, and beg for somebody to beat the snot out of Umaga. Instead, I hope Cena comes out on top because Booker's new royal gimmick grates on my nerves, and I take a nap whenever the Samoan Sleep Inducer comes on the screen. Don't even get me started on TNA . . .

So, in closing - leave the marks alone. Let them enjoy what they want to enjoy, and the rest of us can enjoy what we want to enjoy. A Cena fan is no less a fan than a Booker fan, and an Edge fan is no greater a fan than a DX fan.

Anonymous said...

The Voting for Cyber Sunday is rigged.

Big Daddy Donnie said...

LOL NICE Claytron....
Now if you order your O Show t-shirts to wear to Cyber Sunday you can have them shipped to you on time!

LOL

Dan-e-o said...

Anonymous,

At the end of the day, we're all marks. We're all pro wrestling fans right? "Smark" is just a way of saying we think we're smart. More of a devil's advocate kind of article, if anything.

Anonymous said...

That is an interesting take Signguy, that even if it's rigged the WWE is likely monitoring the response to certain wrestlers and could base decisions about their career on them