Check This Out...

5.20.2011

Tha "King Of O" Randy Savage


As everyone knows by now “Macho Man” Randy Savage recently passed away after apparently suffering a heart attack while behind the wheel of his vehicle while traveling with his wife. When I heard that this happened my first reaction was what some wrestling fans probably thought. Suicide. Overdose. I know that sounds terrible, but as a wrestling fan this is the way I’m used to hearing about wrestlers passing away.

Macho Man was a one of a kind wrestler. Literally. There was, is, and never will be another wrestler like him. Ever. You can imitate him all you want, but no one will ever have the combination of wardrobe, style, or personality that Savage had. And don’t get me started on his voice. No one sounds like him! His voice is recognizable instantly. He’s been on everything from the Spiderman films, Family Guy, and Dexter’s Lab. And of course the Slim Jim commercials. I cant buy one of those damned things without thinking of Macho Man.

You would be hard pressed to find a wrestling fan that walked down the aisle during graduation and heard "Pomp and Circumstance" and didn’t want to stuck their thumb in their belt loop, point to the sky and spin. As a kid he was one of the wrestlers I imitated the most (next to Ric Flair, The Ultimate Warrior, Hulk Hogan, and Mr. Perfect). You cant sit there and tell me you never pointed to the sky, dove off your dresser, and dropped the elbow on the bed. Or a sibling.

And he gave us so many memorable moments. How about his elimination from the Royal Rumble versus Yokozuna? His WWF feud with Flair after an amazing buildup? Jake “The Snake” Roberts having his snake sink its teeth into Savage’s arm? His proposal to Miss Elizabeth? Listen to that crowd! And of course, the match that is often listed by fans and wrestlers as their favorite match PERIOD against Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat at Wrestlemania 3? When people think of that match they usually just think of Steamboat, but there was someone else in that ring making him look that good.

Randy Savage.

As a selfish fan I’m mad that I will never get to see him come out for an appearance. I’m mad that I won’t see him inducted into a hall of fame by his brother and guest of Tha O Show The Genius. I’m mad that I wont get to hear him “Oh, yeah!” anymore. I’m mad that someone who entertained me my entire childhood and well into my adulthood had to go out like this.

The world just got a little less entertaining.

“Macho Man” Randy Savage aka The “Macho” King November 15th 1952 - May 20th 2011

1 comments: on "Tha "King Of O" Randy Savage"

Macho4Life said...

When I was in grade 3 my "Macho Mark" brother, 10 years my senior, actually wrote me a note to get me out of class so I could go meet Randy Savage and Elizabeth at a car show in Mississauga. To meet the person I admired the most in the prime of his career at such a young age was easily the most influential moment of my life. And Randy could have totally ruined that experience for me by being a jerk or rushing me or acting bored but he did none of those things. He was so outgoing and charming and he really took his time to make a kid's day. I will never forget that day, Randy. Elizabeth was really kind as well and all I can hope is that you and "The First Lady" are together again.

Rest In Power Mach! Thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.