Check This Out...

1.08.2010

Monday Night Wars: Round 2

There has definitely been a lot of debate about the Monday Night Wars and more specifically if TNA is at the level it needs to be to compete.

Since I'm not French I'm gonna go ahead and choose a side. I do think this is the beginning of a wrestling ratings war. Will it be as intense as Nitro vs. Raw in the 90's? No, probably not. Will either show garner a 5 or 6? Definitely not. Will Impact's numbers improve past a 2? I really think so. In fact I think at some point they'll hit a 3.

I think the thing that has people the most doubtful about this rating war happening is TNA's popularity level and I really think that is a very poor point. TNA doesn't need to be as over as WCW was to compete.

All they need is TV time in North America on a decent TV station, a solid roster, a few recognizable faces and to call the WWE out. They have everything they need to compete and they called the WWE out, which creates the illusion of competition in the minds of the fans.

Much like the recession we just had, all it takes is enough people to spread the word that there's a recession and people start to panic and spend less money which in turn loses the business that consumer would have given to a particular company, causing that company to cut costs and/or jobs which in turn puts another unemployed person out there that can't spend money somewhere else.

So that company has to do the same thing until the recession takes full form. Like the recession, people talk about a ratings war which makes others believe there is one. And all that talk makes more people watch and creates a full-fledged war.

Regarding the actual products, Vince didn't put anything new or amazing out(let's face it, Bret Hart was NOTHING special.) which I think does well to keep talk of a war out of hardcore WWE fans' mouths.

But TNA did a lot to stand out. First off, this week's Impact was the first one I watched in months. Secondly, they put out some good matches and even more importantly about those matches they were a lot different than those featured on any WWE program. Kudos to them for that.

I was however, absolutely horrified to see a fat, old, probably drunk Scott Hall show up with Sean "Corey Mason Sr." Waltman(The resemblance is uncanny. No disrespect to either guy.).This show felt VERY much like an episode of Nitro that was badly in need of a box of Just For Men.

And did we really need to see Val Venis or the Nasty Boyz? I understand that they want to bring in some memorable guys from the Attitude Era but it really wasn't necessary. I will say that Jeff Hardy is a good addition to their roster and he could be used to propel the X Division back to the main event. It doesn't have to be more or less important than the world title, just different. Wishful thinking I know but at least it earned my viewer ship for at least another week.

I remember seeing a few indy workers' Facebook statuses supporting TNA and if this indy support spans beyond Ontario, they just might be able to reach the next level and seriously compete.

Next week when TNA drops the ball and a Styles/Nash match ends with a fingerpoke of doom I'm gonna have to come back and retract everything and admit there's no ratings war and it's not going to be an exciting few months. But until then I stand behind my belief that TNA can do it.


5 comments: on "Monday Night Wars: Round 2"

Anonymous said...

Good article. I gotta say I agree.

I didn't wanna get my hopes up about a competition and get let down.

Sure iMPACT! wasn't as exciting as it coulda been but it was exciting enough to keep me excited and waiting for more.

WWE has let me down sooo...many times in the past. What have I got to lose?

David Strickland said...

I found the following at

www.irishcentral.com:

http://www.irishcentral.com/ent/Sheamus-vs-Hulk-Hogan-is-the-ultimate-WWE-Irish-fight-79716982.html

Sheamus vs Hulk Hogan would be the ultimate WWE Irish fight

Sheamus defeated Mark Henry last night to retain his WWE title – no surprise there – but could a fight against Hulk Hogan AKA Terry Bollea be in the offing?

Hulk of course is on the outs with Vince McMahon and there is no love lost there.

Hogan says he is the guy WWE comes to when they need a big main event. He and Vince have fought over money in recent times. Here is the chance for them to make it up and a big payday as well.

Do you think Terry Bollea – er,
Hulk Hogan – is not thinking that way?

Read what Hulk said in a recent interview about McMahon and WWE.
"About eight weeks ago, I was actually talking with Vince again because every year when they need like a main event, they'll call me to wrestle (John) Cena like last year when I blew my back out and I couldn't make it," he said.

"They were talking to me about hosting the show at the Garden and shooting an angle and coming back in. I don't think he's too happy."

There we go. Cena is no longer the champ Sheamus is, and he and Hulk Hogan could be the dream match up – especially around St.Patrick's Day.

Lets call it 'Erin go Brawl' –

Hogan, who is a fake Irishman, fighting a real one, Hogan showing the new Irish kid on the block a trick or two, and Sheamus eventually prevailing because – well, he's Sheamus and the bright new light in the WWE sky.
Let's get it on.

WOW! Hilarious - doubt it will go down pal.

Anonymous said...

I dont know what you're talking about. The Nasty Boys demanding wings, beer, and pizza, while trashing the locker room, at the same time as Knobbs sounding like he was cumming, was fuckin hilarious.

kanonballs said...

Victor, Swiss is the neutral country. Not France !!!

Kanonballs
from Marseille, South of France

Victor Wildcat said...

Hey, don't get me wrong I think Brian Knobbs is shoot one of the craziest and funniest guys in the business but he really doesn't have a spot anymore. If they want to put him as a 3rd man on commentary or some type of non-wrestling role I'm buck down with it but I seriously doubt they'll do it.

Even if they wanted to have a whole "Legends" division where you get a match or two every week between some of the older guys who can't work at the pace some of the young guys can that's fine with me, in fact now that I mention it I actually like it.