Check This Out...

1.31.2008

Tha 'It-Factor'

You hear this phrase all the time in wrestling circles: the 'it-factor.' People question whether a worker has 'it.'

Does he have 'it'? Or, doesn’t he? Does he have that 'it-factor' that will bring him to the next level?

I’ve thought about this quite a bit lately. I want to explore exactly what 'it' means. I want to explore who I think has 'it' in the business right now. And, how one goes about getting 'it.'

Let’s tackle the first question: What exactly is 'it'? When a worker watches a match and he says, 'Ya man, he’s got it.' What the heck does he mean?

The answer to this question is actually different for a lot of people. I watch some guys and I say, 'Nope, he just doesn’t have it.' While other guys might say, 'Yep, for sure, he’s got it.'

Here’s what it means to me, specifically:

The most important and apparent thing that stands out to me when I see a worker who has it, is that I am drawn to them. For some reason, I am drawn to them. I might be drawn to their wrestling ability. I might be drawn to their character, the way they move in the ring, their facial expressions, etc. A lot of guys draw people into their matches in various ways. But that there is the key ... drawing people in.

A worker who has it, has the ability to draw everyone that is watching their match into the story and get them emotionally involved in the drama. The key word is everyone. Just because a guy can do a nip-up into a standing cork-screw moonsault and get 100 people to chant 'That was awesome!' does not mean that he has 'it.' That just means he has some impressive athletic ability. A good worker will get everyone in the crowd emotionally invested in their match. And man, I’ll tell you from experience, it’s not easy.

The biggest compliment I think I’ve gotten since I started wrestling was from Tha O Show favourite, round table professor - 'El Tornado.' After a match, I asked him, 'What’d you think, brother?' (Ya, I say 'brother' a lot. I don’t know if it’s because I’m a Hogan mark or just because I love El Tornado). And he said, 'Cody, it was simply awesome. It was captivating. You drew everyone in. I just couldn’t take my eyes of you.' Sounds pretty romantic, huh? It was even cooler when Traci Brooks came up to me and said the exact same thing.
I think is was special because he said I drew everyone in. We were wrestling in Timmins that day, and there was about 1500 people there. Drawing that many people into your match isn’t easy. But, according to El Tornado, on that night, I did it. I was proud to be a wrestler that day.

I don’t know how to be more specific when I say that a worker needs to have the ability to 'draw the people in.' It’s a combination of many things, like I said early ... so, I guess, what it really comes down to, is whether that person is a worker, in the true sense of the word. A true worker, will excel in all areas of wrestling, and accent the positives, and hide the negatives. A true worker will draw the people in with the total package: work-rate, character, body movement, facial expressions, timing and ring psychology.

They might excel in one area more than another, but, regardless, they use all aspects of 'work' in order to bring the crowd into what they are doing. For example, I’m not the greatest high-flyer/technical wizard when it comes to wrestling. I’m competent, but I’m no Dynamite Kid. I know that. So I don’t try to be what I’m not. I think too many workers, mark out for something, try to do it, or be something that they aren’t and they end up failing miserably in their wrestling career. To me, that’s just someone who doesn’t 'get it,' doesn’t 'have it,' and will never achieve 'it.'

Are you still with me? I know this topic might sound philosophical, or a little out there, but bare with me if you aren’t getting 'it.'

If you’re not following me, let me give you a list of workers that I think have 'it.' And, I’ll give you some reasons why.

I’m going to take a different approach to this. I’ve always said that you can never really judge how good a worker is unless you’ve worked them yourselves. So, this list will only include people that I’ve worked before. If I didn’t restrict it, the list would be way too long. For example, Shawn Michaels would definitely be on the list, but I’ve never worked him, so I’m not going to include him.

Let’s start with some TNA talent:

(A) 'Showtime' Eric Young. Showtime has it. He is oozing it. He is covered in it. It runs through his veins and seeps out his pours.

Eric Young is a 'worker' in the truest sense of the word. He knows how to get himself over. And he knows how to get those around him over too. He knows how to make the people care about what he’s doing. And he has the uncanny ability to do this under the most difficult circumstances.

Eric Young hasn’t been spoon-fed anything in this business. He’s worked his way into the spot he has now. He took a throw-away 'paranoid' gimmick in Team Canada and turned himself into the most over baby-face in the TNA Impact! Zone. How did he do this? A bunch of different ways. He accentuated what he was good at when it came to his in-ring performance: taking bumps. He worked on his promos and got himself super-over on the stick. He changed his mannerisms and facial expressions and worked the gimmick to a tee.

This was all the doing of Eric Young. He was given the ball, and he ran with it. The Eric Young that most Ontario Indy fans love is not the same Eric Young that they knew working the indy scene in the late 90's early 2000's. That Showtime was cool. He was hip. He could wrestle circles around everyone. So, why isn’t he doing that now? BECAUSE HE GETS IT! That’s not his role in the company right now. Yes, he can do it, but he doesn’t have to right now. He’s not supposed to right now! HE GETS IT! He can get over no matter what role he’s put in. Why? Because he has it.

(B) Robert Roode. I’ve had the honor of working with Robert Roode quite a few times now, and everytime has been an absolute treat.
Robert Roode is another guy who just 'gets it.' In my humble opinion, he is the best heel in the business right now. Why? Because everyone hates him. People don’t chant 'This is awesome!' in Robert Roode matches. They don’t chant 'Let’s go Robert!' Because everyone hates him. And they’re supposed to. Because he’s a heel. Robert Roode is a throw-back to when heels were really heels, when they weren’t afraid to be heels. Robert Roode is amazing.

He’s a heel in a time when it is getting harder and harder to make people hate you. Because it seems as if, if you’re good at making people hate you, people are entertained by that. And eventually they like you. That’s not the case with Robert Roode. He’s too smart to fall into that trap. He’s a heel through and through. From his promos, his movements in the ring, his facials, to his wrestling style, he’s just awesome at making people hate him. I think if you asked anyone that has worked with Bobby Roode, they’ll say the exact same things I’m saying. He’s just that good.

(C) James Storm. Some people might be surprised to see this guy on my list. But you shouldn’t. I’m just drawn to James Storm when he’s in the ring. He’s a solid worker, with a solid character, and when he wants to be, he can be one of the best workers that TNA has on the roster. When he brings his A-game, he can hang with anyone. I got to work with him in Nashville a few years ago, and I had a lot of fun. When I watch James Storm matches, I pay attention.

He’s entertaining. He draws me in. You might disagree. But, I don’t care. I think he has 'it.' Is he working at his full potential? I don’t think so ... yet. But, when James Storm is given that proverbial ball, and really allowed to run with it, you’ll be in for a real treat. He’s got the total package. And he’s slowly putting it together right now. He’s not at the peak of his career yet. But, when he hits that peak, watch out. He’s going to turn some heads.

Let’s turn to some indy guys, and wrap this thing up before I write a friggin’ novel.

(D) Tyson Dux. People in Ontario have been saying this for years - 'Tyson Dux is going to be a star one day.' I really hope I’m around to see this happen. He deserves to be a star. Because he most certainly has 'it.'

I can’t turn away from a Tyson Dux match. He 'has' me from the second he walks through the curtain. When people go home after watching a show with Tyson Dux on it, he’s the guy they talk about. He’s the guy they remember. They’ll say stuff like, 'Those other guys, were OK. There were some funny characters, but that Tyson Dux, he’s really really good.' And those people are right.

He has 'it.' I think he’s always had 'it,' but within the last year or so, he’s really started to show it. The only thing Tyson would get knocked for in the past was his body. Well, he gaver, and he now has one of the best bodies in wrestling. There isn’t anything this guy can’t do. His ring psychology is second to none. It really is. Marks don’t notice it. But that’s because they aren’t supposed to. That’s real ring psychology. When the fans get brought along for the ride, but they have no idea why. That’s what Tyson Dux does. Whether he’s curtain jerking or main-eventing.

Tyson has taught me a lot about ring psychology. Derek Wylde taught me the basics, and instilled in me a really hard work ethic. Showtime Eric Young was actually the first person to notice me, and speak up and say, 'That Cody guy. He has it.' Derek Wylde laughed, and said, 'No he doesn’t. He’s just a skinny punk kid that thinks he knows everything!' But that’s another story for another time. :) But, it was Tyson Dux who brought me under his wing for awhile and really taught me the little things that matter in wrestling.

Man, I learned so much from Tyson. I still do. The workers in Ontario are lucky to have this guy around. Unfortunately, for him, he’s still around. He shouldn’t be. He should be on TV every week making a lot of money somewhere. And I think he will. As Bret Hart says in his book, 'You can’t hold down talent.' Tyson has too much talent to be held down. His time will come. He most certainly has it.

Last one ...

(E) Shawn Spears. I knew this guy had it from the day I laid my eyes on him. The first time I saw this guy in the ring, I just said, 'Wow. This guy has it.' Since then, he’s only gotten better.

The first thing I noticed about Shawn was the way he moves. He’s such a natural. The in-ring stuff came so natural to him. He had the in-ring stuff down pat so quick. Me and some of the boys used to joke, 'Spears could have a match where all he was allowed to do is punch, and he’d still be over like crazy.' And it’s true. He’s that good.

I’ve had some awesome matches with Shawn Spears. Some matches that I am very proud of. Some of my favourites. I was lucky enough to get to work with him before the WWE picked him up. I remember yelling at him and saying ... 'SEND A TAPE RIGHT NOW!' I told him what match to send and everything. He wasn’t sure about it, but I told him, if he didn’t send it, I would kick his ass.

I told him, if he sent a tape I could guarantee he would get a call. Well, low and behold, I was right. He got some tryouts, and eventually worked his ass off into getting himself a contract. Why? The agents saw what everyone sees when they see Shawn Spears ... it. He just has it.

Go to youtube and type in Shawn Spears and Colt Cabana. There are 2 matches on there between those two guys, from OVW, that are both off the charts. I emailed Spears the other day just to tell him that those two matches single-handedly put my faith back in pro wrestling and made me think that it can be good again. I meant it. Shawn Spears draws people into his matches. People are drawn to him. He has the 'it-factor.'

I’m going to end this article with a key note on the 'it-factor.' There’s something I’ve learned from training some guys, watching a lot of indies, learning from some of the best in the business, and just being around for awhile.

You can’t teach someone to have 'it.' They either have it, or they don’t.

This is just a fact. You can train someone to do all the right moves. You can teach them everything there is to know about ring psychology. You can give them the best gimmick in the world. But, in the end, if they don’t have 'it,' they just don’t. You can’t teach 'it' to them.

You can take an awesome athlete and have Shawn Michaels, Ric Flair, Steve Austin, Bret Hart, and Hulk Hogan all train the guy ... and that guy just won’t draw people into his matches unless he has it. I think ... you’re born with it.

That’s what makes this subject so hard to talk about and truly analyze. It’s hard to put your finger on exactly what 'it' is. Why? Because either you’re born with 'it,' or you aren’t. You can’t teach 'it.' You either have 'it,' or you don’t.

Don’t get me wrong. There has been a lot of guys that have succeeded in this business and made a lot of money, and they didn’t have 'it.' But, there has also been a lot of guys that haven’t made a dime, and worked indies their whole lives who did have 'it.' That’s just the nature of the beast that is the wrestling business.

The next time you go to a show, look around. Look at the peoples’ faces. Listen to the reactions. See if the people are drawn to the action. See if you are drawn to the action. If you are, and those around you are too, you just might be witnessing someone who has 'it.'

Thanks for reading.

Keep givin’er,
Cody Deaner


10 comments: on "Tha 'It-Factor'"

Big Daddy Donnie said...

Awesome article Deaner....
Just curious if you think Santino Marella is soaking in it?

I'm sure you wrestled Johnny Geobasco a few times on the indy scene!

D.J.B. said...

Great to see another article from you my brother in all things redneck.

Awesome article, great insight, great points, and an all around great article.

Hope to read more from you in the future.

Anonymous said...

Andrew Gray is biased!

Anonymous said...

Great read. I saw that Spears/Cabana match a few months back and thought the same exact thing that you put into writing. Hopefully both guys get called up in the very near future.

I havn't seen a Dux match yet, but I'm going to check it out on youtube because of the calibur of workers you've put him on the same line as.

I almost hate Robert Roode myself, which either makes me a bit of a mark, or makes him one helluva worker. I'm guessing the more of the latter.

Anonymous said...

Tyson Dux is the best wrestler I've EVER seen.

Anonymous said...

You say that the "it" factor is unteachable, I was just wondering if that spells certain doom for careers or is it a henderance?

Mr. Del Negro

Unknown said...

From the very first time I saw Shawn Spears, I said that he was the next big thing in professional wrestling. That guy has the total package. I really don't even think he realizes how good he truly is.

And, you can definitely add yourself to the list of Ontario indy wrestlers that have "it". I've never seen a bad Cody Steele/Deaner match. Hell, I've never seen a "good" Steele/Deaner match. They're either great, or incredible. Doesn't matter if you're in the main, or on the curtain, you are always the most entertaining on the card. Always.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

Sorry I took so long to respond to this. Now I see that my article is at the bottom of the page, and probably long forgotten, but whatever, I'll address the comments either way.

Big Daddy: Do I think Santino Marella has "it"? Awesome question.

I actually haven't worked Santino. Even when he was "Johnny Giobasco" when he was still in Ontario. So, I can't say whether or not he was easy to work with in the ring.

I will say this. I am definitely drawn to the guy. He is the highlight of RAW when I watch. He is very very good on the microphone. I wish he could draw people into his matches as well as he can draw them into his interviews/promos.

I think Santino has the type of charisma that you definitely CAN'T teach. Does he have "it"? I don't know... I don't think so.

But, that's just my opinion. I'm not criticizing the guy. For one, he is the best natural mic guy the WWE has had in a long time. And two, he's made more money than I ever have in wrestling, so I should just shut my mouth! :)

Anonymous: "Andrew Gray is biased!"

Yes. The little bastard is biased.

Matt: "I almost hate Robert Roode myself, which either makes me a bit of a mark, or makes him one helluva worker. I'm guessing the more of the latter."

It is most definitely the latter.

Robert Roode is one of the most talent workers in the business right now. Hands down. He is just very very good. Plain and simple.

Justin: Thank you for the kind words.

Mr. Del Negro: "You say that the "it" factor is unteachable, I was just wondering if that spells certain doom for careers or is it a henderance?"

Another awesome question.

Like I said in the article, if you don't have "it" it doesn't mean you can't make it in the business, and ... make a whole heck of a lot of money. Likewise, just because you have "it" doesn't mean you are going to main event Wrestlemania.

I think there are a lot of guys that people remember and they say, "Hey, whatever happened to ________? He was pretty good." Apart from all of the political reasons that might have held that said worker down, often times, guys just don't "make it" or break through that preverbial "glass ceiling" because they just don't have "it."

Thanks for reading guys. Keep givin'er. And keep the comments coming.

Cody Deaner

Anonymous said...

fuckin deaner is awesome!! replies to everyone by name!

deaner has it!