Check This Out...

5.22.2007

Tha Raw Report - It Sucked. Period.

It is painfully clear that I am not a fan of sports entertainment. I'm a wrestling fan. Sure, I grew up watching The Hulkster tell me to say my prayers during his promos, and I dug it. But the crap that WWE is feeding us today is beyone ridiculous.

And the marks seems to simply eat it up happily. I realized recently that one of the biggest difference between a fan of wrestling and a true mark is that the mark never asks questions. He or she simply consumes what the E presents on TV and is automatically satisfied.

This was evident in the amount of "Bobby! Bobby!" chants spat out by the crowd last night during "Raw". Were none of these people asking why Bobby Lashley is the current star of the "Raw" show even though he is supposedly an ECW superstar?

Yeah, I know O-sters. This question is not a new one. Nor are the several that will be asked throughout this article. But I, as a wrestling fan, refuse to sit idly by and NOT question the crap that is being spewed out of the modern day world of WWE.

Here's another question: Since when is a Gauntlet Match one where the competitor "running the gauntlet" gets to take a break between opponents? Call it what it is: four separate matches! Far be it from me to ever sing the praises of John Cena, but to be WWE Champion and have Bobby Lashley "dominate" the "Raw" broadcast last night must have gotten under Johnny boy's skin.

It sure as hell got under mine. FOUR Bobby Lashley matches?! Not to mention, one of the worst things about this angle is the fact that you absolutely KNOW that they are going to feed him jabrones for the first couple of "gauntlet rounds". Enter Chris Masters and Viscera. When was the last time either of these two guys won a match? Exciting stuff.

Now you tell me that One Night Stand - an incredible Rob Van Dam-invented concept for ECW - is now going to feature matches that include Vince McMahon VS. Bobby Lashley and John Cena VS. The Great Khali? This, of course, begs another question: what did I do to deserve this?

Mike Awesome VS. Masuto Tanaka-like matches, these WILL NOT be!

Another question about last night's "Raw": what the hell was the deal with that weirdo music being played every time footage of Shawn Michaels was shown?

Oh, I'm not done...not by a long shot. Why is Carlito's "Back Cracker" now known as the "Back Stabber"? Is this because Joey Styles originally coined the move's name? Is it because of Carlito's new heelness that the new name is somehow more appropriate? Are most WWE fans too mentally docile to even question this? Gotta be a "yes" to the last question.

Here's some more for ya...Why is Candice Michelle beating Melina week in and week out and STILL not getting a title shot? How many non-title matches is she supposed to win before being in contention for the Women's Championship?

What the hell makes WWE think that Johnny Nitro and Kenny Dykstra make a better tag team than MNM? Granted they pulled off a pretty cool tandem move last night - Dykstra with Matt Hardy draped over his knees while Nitro slingshotted himself into the ring with an elbow. But still...is there really any future for this team?

Also, if Melina and Nitro are no longer a pair...why do they both still have the exact same entrance music?

Why were Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin COMPLETELY inaudible on commentary during the Hardys tag team match against Nitro and Dykstra? Was it just me or were they not even wearing headsets? It seemed to appear as if this was done on purpose as Jerry Lawler tended to repeat every answer Haas and Benjamin gave to questions asked them.

And here's the kicker! Want to know how TRULY bad "Raw" was last night? One of it highlights was John Cena's in-ring promo as he faced The Great Khali. Yep, I said it.

Remarkably, Cena's "I'm not afraid of you anymore" speech made perfect sense. Not only what he said, but his delivery of his words were on point. No gimmicky phrases or corny jokes...just the straight goods - based on the fact that he made the giant tap out the night before. Imagine that.

Thankfully, Khali's foot being under the rope as he tapped at Judgment Day was acknowledged. Sadly, this will only drag out an already brutal feud. Prepare for a One Night Stand worse than any fat chick could ever provide. With so many unanswered questions presented by "Raw" last night, only a true mark could be excited for the next pay-per-view event.


15 comments: on "Tha Raw Report - It Sucked. Period."

Anonymous said...

Vince McMahon will see to it that the world LOVES Bobby Lashley... whether the world wants to or not. McMahon is shoving Lashley down everyone's collective throat like this were a Slap Happy dvd. (and if you get that reference, you should be fucking ashamed of yourself... LOL) Now if only one of the agents who KNOWS how to cut a promo and show some charisma or personality would teach Lashley how to come out of his shell. If we're going to have this guy forced upon us the least they could do is make him at least FAKE being exciting/interesting.

fallen0ne said...

I've got a new way of rating RAW. If I cn easily go to bed at 10:30 without feeling like I missed something, I know RAW is crap, which by the way has been happening more often than not

Anonymous said...

I slept through most of the show after downing a Steakhouse Melt combo from Wendy's, yet still don't feel that I missed anything. Any time I can miss Khali is a good time. I wish I had slept through the Umaga match. You know, I hate that guy, but I still think its a shame that he's gone from Samoan Bulldozer to Vince's Bitch. Does a Lashley victory mean no Blue Meanie at ONS? :(

Anonymous said...

i feel asleep while Khali was talking

Brian G said...

Ya know Dan-e-o, "sports entertainment" totally passed me by about two years ago. Looks to me like the same thing might be happening to you.

Big Daddy Donnie said...

SLAP HAPPY!!!

Tim Haught said...

The song that should be played every time Shawn Michaels footage is shown is "Tell Me a Lie."

I was ok with the Joey Mercury release when WWE was trying to push Nitro as a singles star and they found themselves reverting back to MNM because it was easy and made sense. Being in a tag team when creative has nothing for you is better than being released or made to job in 1000 singles matches, but the Dykstra-Nitro combination just seems so pointless when they could still have something that is over like the Spirit Squad or MNM. I know that Mercury has some substance abuse issues and stuff that also need worked out, but I'd like to see both Nitro and Dykstra doing something that seems a lot less makeshift. Everyone was clamoring for them to pull the triggers on these guys, the WWE does, and then realizes that even with all their top guys gone and moving brands they still don't have anything for them to do.

WWE showed the faith they have in Haas and Benjamin by sitting them next to the booth rather than behind it. Lawler got a chance to be their official spokesmen. HELLO WWE, if you don't think Benjamin can talk, but have seen him wrestle classic matches with Triple H, Kurt Angle, and HBK, give him an F'N manager, and no, not his "momma."

But here's my question. Where the F was Santino Marella? Are they doing this or are they not doing this? You know, for someone who is so up his own ass to want to only push anything that he has come up with like Vince is, you'd think he'd make the Intercontinental title more important than the US title. At the moment, I am not sure it's more important than the Women's or Cruiserweight titles.

Lashley wrestles four times on a show where you could have further developed your underdog Intercontinental champion.

Dan-e-o said...

Thanks for bringing up the IC strap. I can't believe I forgot to mention it.

Honestly, the absence of Santino Marella only furthers my point about how bad this storyline is. The IC belt is the worst looking title in the company at the moment.

Does anyone even want it?

Anonymous said...

I gotta say I agree with you. I am a fan not a mark. Vince is screwing up so much. He is destroying what could be good storylines and careers.
Everyone knows what is gonna happen at One Night Stand. Shane and Umaga are gonna interfere but Lashley will over come to win the title.
As far as Nitro and Kenny... well I thought with the right push they could be good single wrestlers. Why is messing it up like this?
The IC belt is a joke. Im not saying dont push him. I dont like him having the belt but at least push him some.. I cant stand the fact that these belts mean nothing anymore.
And whats up with having the Worlds Title match,then the US Title then the WWE title in that order on a PPV? Doesnt the Worlds title mean anything anymore? Also did anyone notice that the champs came out first for all the matches. Isnt it tradition that the challenger comes out first then the champ?
The main question to ask is.. What kind of crack is Vince smoking?

Anonymous said...

Usually I have pretty long comments, but not this time. Everyting's been said. I hate to say this, but the only reason I watch wrestling anymore is because I have for so long. Tha O Show made me believe again, and Vince is telling me to stop. I took up for Lashley a good bit before, but after last night in the non-gauntlet gauntlet, no more. Fuck RAW, fuck Vince, fuck Cena, fuck Lashley, fuck Khali, fuck, just Fuck IT

At least there is Smackdown and ECW show me something this week PLEASE.

fallen0ne said...

Sadly I have come to the same conclusion as you DJB. I just watch it cause I've been watching it forever. The only reason I still catch ppv's is cause my brother in law gets them for free.
Dammit! FUCK YOU VINNIE MAC! You have fucked with my love of wrestling and turned it into a hatred towards this sports entertainment crap.
AARRGGHHH!!!!

Anonymous said...

djb thats exactly what i said. thats prolly why most people still watch it

Anonymous said...

I will also admit that I watch it cause its what I do every Monday night. I guess I am still hoping that one Monday I will tune in and something good will happen.
The only thing I can hope for is Triple H to come back, Shawn to get healthy, and a good decent push for Orton. Maybe that will change the pace.

Anonymous said...

i dobut anything will change the pace and the pace is hiding rock bottom like WCW

Anonymous said...

When is Candice going to get her shot? This was the only enjoyable match! She needs that gold and what better then to take it from Melina! These 2 hate each other in real life so how much better can it get? The rest were boring and predictable. Wasn't Lashley on ECW the last time I checked?