Check This Out...

2.24.2007

Talkin Smack

While this week's episode was not one my favorites in recent memory, the road to WrestleMania certainly ran through "SmackDown!" last night.

First of all, who the hell would have guessed that Undertaker would pick you up zero points in the WWE Fantasy game? Apparently not I.

If you were foresighted enough to pick "Raw" monsters Umaga and The Great Khali on the other hand, you were rewarded with the presence of both on this week's "SmackDown!".

It's been widely recognized that the brand lines have become quite blurred as of late. The lines become even more blurred every year heading toward Mania. In fact, it's become a tradition that we are presented with at least one inter-brand dream match each year. This year it's almost a sure bet it's going to be Kane VS. The Great Khali. While some view this as a dream match many of my O Show colleagues are sure to refer to it as indeed a nightmare.

Speaking of inter-brand matches, how amped are you for that "Money In The Bank" Ladder Match? With the three entrants already determined alone, the match will be an absolute classic! I went on the record last week as saying I was pleasantly surprised to see CM Punk defeat Johnny Nitro to head to Mania. Edge, CM Punk, and now King Booker are all set to compete in that annual classic, and that's only half of the contestants! Anyone care to predict the three other guys?

I really don't know why so many self professed "smarks" have always been so down on Kane. I have always thought Kane was a huge asset to the E and truly one of the greatest big men in the history of the business. Last night's match with Booker went at least 20 minutes and I was entertained the entire time. I have a feeling Kane's the kind of commodity that will only be truly appreciated once he's gone.

Congrats to anyone who picked Little Bastard instead of Teddy Long or Chloe the dog in their Fantasy picks as he literally ddt'ed and pinned the Boogeyman! That's right; the guy that destroyed King Booker and the incomparable JBL got punked out by a guy that stands about 4 feet tall! Did you hear how over Little Bastard is? This guy is set to be the most over "mini" since Wee Man of "Jackass" fame. I can see the merch machines rolling already.

Oh...I almost forgot. Rey Mysterio made his television return after months away due to knee surgery. I almost forgot because his segment quickly became a McMahon/Trump promo for WrestleMania. I sincerely hope Rey's knee was healed enough to take an Umaga splash off the top rope. I have a feeling it's going to be quite some time before Rey is rehabbed enough to compete again in the ring.

It's not very often a wrestler makes a comeback from an injury and is squashed by somebody that he's not even involved in a program with. Umaga sure has come a long way from being Jamal in Thee Minute Warning. Who in the world can stop the "Samoan Bulldozer" and Vince McMahon's bionic ego heading into WrestleMania? We've all heard the rumors and I'm calling it right now. Screw TNA. Hulk Hogan will face Umaga at WrestleMania!


10 comments: on "Talkin Smack"

Anonymous said...

Smackdown was indeed a show fully involved on the Road to WRESTLEMANIA.

I enjoyed it and really enjoyed the 6 man tag team match. I thought the Joey Mercury mask as a weapon spot was pretty cool. Why though, did he stay on his face for an extended amount of time. Another I noticed was the total lack of eye contact and interaction between Ashley and former boyfriend Matt Hardy, who stayed perched on the turnbuckles as Ashley celebrated with the tag champs. I thought the Rey/Umaga thing was entirely stupid and unneeded unless it is just to push Umaga even more, and give Rey more time to heal. Hopefully though we won't have a Umaga/Rey-rey fued upon Rey's return. Where was the lack of appearanc eof Kennedy? Scotty 2 Hotty vs. Chavo was a solid solid match, and they even gave G-helms some TV time, albeit silent and watching. JBL though has repeated himself in the same week. How many more times can he see it all?

On a side note, I cannot friggin believe I took Little Bastard off of my roster this week. Thats a kick in the ass.

Anonymous said...

The little Bastard is no more. He is now Hornswoggle on all WWE stuff. No mention of the name little bastard.

Anonymous said...

Kennedy wrestled Batista in a title dark match following the cameras going off the air. Batista won, then got planted by an Undertaker chokeslam.

After reading the spoilers, I had hopes this match would be televised. Fantasy points, baby. But oh well. It seems that Big Daddy Donnie has finally caught me in the standings, as he is finally in first place.

Anonymous said...

i wont to proclaim that it would be blasphamis for shelton benjamin not to be in the money in the bank match i mena the guys is the mania human highlight real even if you dont think he will ever be champion with out him im pretty sure its gonna be boring. now around the office at work we are banking on jeff hardy, the incredible Mr Kennedy and the wild card being MVP or Hardcore holly(I am Anti Holly for the record) with Mr kennedy geting the brief case but waitng a good four to five months before cashing it in

Anonymous said...

Ahh Little Bastard. That was the highlight of the night (of course, I missed the first half or something, whatever). I too had himand Finlay on my roster and sold them back to buy - you ready for this? - Kennedy, who didn't even appear on TV. Oh man, I've been playing this game all wrong. Plus you'd think havng the US Champion would be good but he gets less airtime than Joey fuckin' Mercury.

fallen0ne said...

Don't even mention fantasy! Taker and Kennedy, and not one shows up on tv. At least Kennedy wa on ECW.
Haven't checked since Tuesday, but I'm pretty sure I've tumbled out the top ten.

Anonymous said...

As much I would like to not mention fantasy, I must fulfill my obligation and inform our O-sters of the current standings in "Tha O League"

1 Dan-e-o loves Cena - 1378 pts
2 Tha Hitman - 1377 pts
3 Team Boudreau - 1268 pts
4 Team_Rated_RKO - 1266 pts
5 Smashin' Masters 2K7 - 1232 pts
6 Goatbusters - 1216 pts
7 Methods Of Mayhem - 1190 pts
8 TheEndustry - 1179 pts
9 The O Noes! - 1175 pts
10 wrestling4life - 1167 pts
11 Sketch - 1155 pts
12 Kelly's Killers - 1121 pts
13 BigDaddyDonnie - 1105 pts
14 Rizo's Roster - 1093 pts
15 D-Generation Next - 1035 pts
16 Metal Gods - 1022 pts
17 Dan-e-o - 984 pts
18 The Kickassters - 976 pts
19 I love ThaOShow.Com - 957 pts
20 Rapsfan - 827 pts
21 JorJorBynks - 781 pts
22 Illinois' Finest - 593 pts

Anonymous said...

the MITB match may feature 8 competitors this year... sounds like overkill to me... but i know i read somewhere on here last week about the MITB match being a lesser match... this is next best thing to winning the rumble... and this year will prove it... you will remember the MITB match over all the rest

Anonymous said...

CM Punk, Edge, King Booker, Jeff Hardy, Kennedy, Shelton Benjamin, Matt Hardy, MVP.

Not overkill, it would be perfect if they could fit that in. Actually it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see MVP not in the match, but with the E and their love of "fresh" new talent, it'll be him or Kenny suck-a-dickstra

Anonymous said...

Kennedy, Punk, maybe the Hardys(plural) if the E gets their head outta their ass, those guys are the future. Not to mention Benjamin, Haas, Orton, Thorn, what about those guys who have paid their dues? Dykstra is a good athelete, and so is MVP, but other than do dumb ass cheers, beat Flair, then catch on fire and walk through an inflatable tunnel respectively they haven't proved shit. Dykstra needs to be repackaged already and MVP needs to...needs to...hell I don't know, I guess be impressive.