Check This Out...

1.23.2007

Hornet's Nest: Respect The Ring

A couple of weeks ago I was invited to help with the Samoa Joe seminar in Hamilton, Ontario.

I will not get into the details of the seminar as it would be unfair to the people who paid money to be there. However, I do want to talk about one thing that happened.

Maybe an hour before the seminar was scheduled to begin, the top rope snapped. We all helped to repair the ring and the seminar went off without a hitch.

As I watched us all help repair the ring - the ring that I was originally trained in - I was reminded of all the times I moved that ring around Ontario.

I remember many of us who were getting into the business at the time, going to many different shows just to help with the ring (and anything else, for that matter). There were times that Matt Burns and I wouldn't get home until about 5 or 6 in the morning because we were moving the ring from a show back to the gym.

But, even moreso, I remember people not wanting to help with the ring. For example, a couple of shows in May of 2005 where a bunch of students in this particular school/promotion would not help with the ring. There were also some students who had just recently started doing shows who would not help either.

I am not sure why they did not help. I don't know if it was laziness. I don't know if they thought the ring was not their responsibility. Or maybe they thought they were too good to help with the ring. What upset me more was that the trainer of these guys and girls did not seem to care at all.

When I was in England working for All Star Wrestling, we all had to do ring duty. Each and every one of us. It was a team effort. We were a team. And if you weren't a team player then you had to face wrestler's court.

The ring, is our ring. We may not own the ring and we may not have rented the ring, but it is ours. It's where we work. It's where we make money. It's where we hurt ourselves. It's where we are happiest. It's where we choose to be. It is our responsibility.

Yes, it is the promoter's responsibility. Yes, it is the owner's responsibility. But if you plan on being in that ring then you have to respect it as well. How many indy workers out there say "Pro wrestling is my life" every day, but won't help with the ring if they're needed? A lot. And that's sad.

Perhaps there are many that will not understand this until they have wrestled full-time. Maybe they need the ring to put a roof over their head and food on their table to see what it really means to us as professional wrestlers. Whether you understand it or not you should show the ring respect, show the business respect, and it will respect you back.

The International Superstar, Hornet, is a five year ring vet who has worked all over the world. You can visit him online by going to myspace.com/hornetwrestling


6 comments: on "Hornet's Nest: Respect The Ring"

Big Daddy Donnie said...

Welcome to Tha O Show Hornet.

I was at the Samoa Joe seminar Hornet is talking about and one thing he said about respect for the ring stood out to me.

He talked about when he was in Japan as a young guy, and EVERYONE took part in scrubbing and caring for the ring.

He talked about how legends like Masa Chono got down on their hands and knees and scrubbed the ring with Clorox and water.

Nice way to keep you humble.

How many of the young guys in the WWE do you think have ever set up a ring?

Anonymous said...

The first sign making it in the bussniess is no longer having to work on the ring crew.

Big Daddy Donnie said...

You missed the WHOLE point of Hornet's piece....

working on the ring should be viewed as a labor of love ... not some demeaning chore of necessity.

Dan-e-o said...

Welcome To Tha O Show Hornet,

Yeah bro, I remember Samoa Joe commented on that and I was very impressed when I saw Matt Burns repair a turnbuckle at the end of the seminar....I told him so as well.

Both you and Matt were most impressive that day as well. Big rispek bro.

Anonymous said...

Hornet is a skinny brown man, my little bro can kick his ass lol!

Anonymous said...

did your little brother main event 6 different countries in sold out arenas on TV?