Check This Out...

3.01.2006

Foley was a "Rated O" interview

I had a huge piece planned on the Rated "O" superstar Mick Foley after Edge deciding to provide his buddies at Tha O Show with some writing material. Unforunately, my boy Dan-e-o beat me to it. That's what I get for playing NBA Live 2006 and Grand Theft Auto last night.

I will contribute a story though. My favorite Mick Foley "O". It didn't happen in the ring and it was never televised. It was a backstage interview at the Skydome in Toronto way back in 1997. It was on that day that I realized truly how talented this Foley cat was.

There I was, backstage with a my radio co-host Chris Tidwell (aka indy wrestler 'Notorious T.I.D.') and the man they call Darkside. I was covering this house show for my radio program, while Darkside was there with 'Slammin' Steve' for TSN.

The group of us chatted casually and realized we were all pretty much "in-the-know" type fans and not your typical reporter who's been sent out by his media outlet to cover that rasslin' thing downtown.

We sat in the Argos room waiting to see who the WWF people would send us to interview. I lucked out and got Owen Hart. This big fat dude from Buffalo was terrified when he learned that he had the honor of sitting down with a relative newcomer to the company... Mankind.

I have to tell you a little more about this reporter. He was a bigger, sweatier version of Milton Waddams - the squirley dude in the cult favourite film, Office Space. He had a crumpled up sheet of paper with questions for the enigmatic Mankind, who was accompanied by his manager Paul Bearer.

Foley walked in and the rest of the media guys just froze and stared. It was like a live grenade had just been thrown into a chicken coop.

The man, "Milton" was sweating buckets, as Mankind walked closer. He asked Mankind to sit down to which he replied "NO! I'll stand." When Milton stood to try and talk to the future champion, Foley sat down, doing the Mankind rock. Back and forth like a homicidal freak, ready to snap.

More Milton sweat.

Milton: "Mr. Mankind, how do you feel that the power of the Undertaker's urn has helped y-"

Foley quickly stood up as if horribly insulted and ripped the sheet of paper out of Milton's clamy hand. He squeeled, "THIS IS NOT A WORLD OF CERTAINTY WHERE WE LIVE IN PREPARED COMFORT.... but YOU come to ME with a LIST OF PREPARED QUESTIONS??"

Mick looked at the list for a second, and I'm sure was chuckling inside when he saw what Milton wanted to ask him. He then ripped off with "How about I shove this piece of paper down yer fat little throat?"

Everyone ELSE in the room was giggling and smirking. Everyone except poor Milton. Darkside and I swore he was just seconds away from a heart attack.

To Milton's credit, he tried to come back with a second question but Foley cut him off, continuing his own golden monologue - all the while Mick was pounding himself in the head and pulling out chunks of his own hair.

"THE NEXT TIME YOU PISS ME OFF LIKE THIS, I'M GOING TO BEAT YOU TO WITHIN AN INCH OF YOUR LIFE! AND I FORGOT MY RULER!"

Mankind squeeled and yelled somemore, Milton's heart nearly stopped and Paul Bearer pulled his protege out of the Argos locker room. The media guys in attendance were just blown away by this outstanding, albeit Kayfabe performace.

I was either locked in silent "O" face or just completely laughing my ass off.

Years later I discussed that incident with Foley. He admitted to remembering that scene and said he didn't know why he gave the poor mark such a hard time - he was just in the mood to screw with somebody. I told him it was awesome and put the "O" in oustanding gimmick.


0 comments: on "Foley was a "Rated O" interview"