Check This Out...

2.21.2006

Send Owen to the Hall

Last week, when it was announced that Bret "Hitman" Hart would be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame prior to WrestleMania this year, I couldn't help but think how appropriate it would be for him to be inducted along with his late brother, Owen. Watching Raw on Monday night, I had the feeling that this announcement would be made. I almost popped...'O' style...when I saw the opening shot of the montage created for the next inductee...Eddie Guerrero.

Seeing the group of wrestlers gathered in front of the Titantron...an occasion almost always reserved for paying last respects to a recently deceased superstar, made me think that my prediction...and hope...had come true. Now don't get me wrong, I'm one of the biggest Eddie Guerrero marks there is. My middle name is Eduardo. I think I'm more proud that I share a name with one of my favourite wrestlers ever than I am about sharing it with my dad. Eddie was in my top three favourite superstars alongside Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit. Is he deserving of being in the WWE Hall of Fame? "O" absolutely! But not just yet.

I know Big Daddy would agree with me on this one. He has a beautiful baby daughter named Natasha who he wouldn't give back for a thousand- 'O' match between his heroes Shawn Michaels and JBL at a WrestleMania in his backyard! However...if little Tash had been born a boy...she'd be little Owen. Perhaps, it is approprate that we've adopted the 'O' as our new favourite letter...our 'O'de to great wrestling and the first initial of one of the greatest wrestlers ever. Owen Hart should not be inducted into the Hall of Fame simply because he has passed away...which is the reason Eddie has been inducted this year...Owen's wrestling legacy will live on forever because he was an incredible performer. He also wrestled in an era alongside brother Bret and other Hall of Fame worthy-competitors: Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, Randy "Macho Man" Savage and Jake "The Snake" Roberts to name a few.

If last year's inductees were the first of the "Rock 'N' Wrestling Era" - the Hogan, Piper and Orton types - then it only makes sense that this year follows suit by paying tribute to the best in the era that pretty much followed it...and if Bret Hart is going to lead the way, he should have Owen by his side. Eddie is deserving...but the timing is a little too early. I still predict that this year's Hall of Fame ceremony will be 'O' worthy...Owen could still very well be given the honour. If he isn't though, it would be 'O' so unfair.


1 comments: on "Send Owen to the Hall"

Big Daddy Donnie said...

Dan-e-o speaks true.

Had my daughter been born a boy, we were going to name him Owen... after a guy who revolutionized the way Vince McMahon viewed high spot wrestlers. A guy who was "really" a family man, and didn't just play one on tv. A guy who died too soon. A guy I considered a friend. He treated me like gold every time we spoke, and it always meant the world to me.